It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >Hello everyone,

Just want to get a pulse of the community (internal or otherwise).

What kind of sound card are you using? Are you able to support EAX in URU? In other games?

It's kind of a bit of background I'm working on for a future tech segment piece.

I have a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music. It sounds great, is powerful, has a great software package, and it has the most compatible drivers of any Creative sound card I've ever experienced since the release of Windows XP.

J'nathus
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:47 pm 
TCT Member

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 here. EAX is on for UU but I don't recall turning it on, must have been the default. And I don't play any other games. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/whistling.gif[/img]

Visit my <a href="http://www.anthology-email.net/" target="_blank">Anthology of E-mails </a> Web site.

Last edited by Donahoo on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:53 am 
TCT Member

I use a moded integraded audio card. It just sends the raw data to my TV which then uses it monster sound system to do the rest.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:54 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
I'm using the Intel Integrated Audio that shipped with my Sony VAIO all those years ago. I'm then sending the output to my 1979-vintage Kenwood stereo amp, and from there to a pair of Infinity Qb 3-way speaker cabinets (similar age), forming the uprights of the hutch on my desk. The sound is nice... big and full, but of course with no niceties like surround sound.

/\/\

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >I'm talking about sound cards and you turn this into a game of show and tell!!! Mowog, you are incorrigible.

Ok.. you talked me into it . . .

I have a rather pedestrian setup. SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music connected to a set of Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D (270 Watts RMS). Not the most expensive, not the cheapest.. and this set is 4 years and continuing to kick like the day I bought them.

BTW, the satellites are on the shelf next to the monitor stand. :-) Not holding up any part of my desk, but they do a great job of getting the sound out.

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:28 pm 
TCT Member

Yuck, Linksis routers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

<!--QuoteBegin-Akira Hanoe+Jul 19 2006, 07:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Akira Hanoe @ Jul 19 2006, 07:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yuck, Linksis routers.
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=10613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >Cisco / Linksys thank you very much. That's a cable modem and router.

They've never failed me yet!

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 pm 
Producers

Not meaning to detour the thread again, but I've been using a Linksys Ethernet router for several years now, and it's been bulletproof.

That's more than I can say for the Netgear WiFi router I tried for a while. The whole point was to try to get my wife's PC online. My PC and our son's PC are connected via Ethernet, but the Mrs. has has a computer set up at her craft table in the basement, mainly for making greeting cards. When the Netgear worked, it was fine, and she could get online with no problems. But on occasion, I'd lose the WiFi signal, and would find to my amusement that the router's config page would show up as "Page Not Found," even after cycling the thing on/off and going back to the factory presets. I finally got disgusted and went back to Ethernet... her PC was the only one that needed wireless anyway.

I actually got it back online sometime later, but when it messed up again, with the same symptoms, I shoved it to the back of the shelf for good, went back to Ethernet, and she's again offline. Now she's starting to hint that she'd like to have net access again, so I may have to beat on the Netgear some more.

Okay, back to the topic.

/\/\

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:48 am 
Site Admin

<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >Yeah Mowog, I like Linksys. I've used D-Link and that was ok, but I'm used to the config for my particular router (being my 3rd Linksys . . . gave away its 2 predecessors which continue to operate in their new homes). Wireless can be a hastle for the novice. I've helped a coworker network his house over the phone and it was rather difficult (using D-Link). I had him bring the router into work with his laptop and I configured it there. He went home and it worked from there on out.

I wish the poll would garner more responses. Maybe I'll post on other URU forums. I'm certain that it's not only 58% of all URU players are not using host-based or integrated audio. Transversely I don't think that as much as 42% of all URU players are using dedicated (i.e. Creative) solutions.

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:25 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Mowog+Jul 19 2006, 11:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mowog @ Jul 19 2006, 11:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not meaning to detour the thread again, but I've been using a Linksys Ethernet router for several years now, and it's been bulletproof.

Okay, back to the topic.

/\/\
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=10617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They might be bulletproof, but they are not lightening proof. However the router is the only thing that got zapped, not the stuff connected to it.

Carry on. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/whistling.gif[/img]

Visit my <a href="http://www.anthology-email.net/" target="_blank">Anthology of E-mails </a> Web site.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
TCT Member

I "WISH" i had a soundblaster. But TSA fundings only allowed me to get a motherboard with a built on device...VIA.

[img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif[/img]

It deserves it's own show: Priceless homes of America

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 pm 
Producers

Blackwood --

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you.

I'm with you, by the way. It hasn't been until recently that I've even thought much about enhanced audio, but I keep finding other things to do with the money... like our son's college tuition, car insurance, yadda yadda. Oh well.

/\/\

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

<!--QuoteBegin-Mowog+Jul 21 2006, 07:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mowog @ Jul 21 2006, 07:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->. . . but I keep finding other things to do with the money... like our son's college tuition, car insurance, yadda yadda. Oh well.<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=10650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >So . . .

Um . .

Those things are MORE important? Is that what you're saying?

Ok, fine. They are, but only marginally so. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/grin.gif[/img]

It's actually kind of hard to recommend dedicated audio. I kind of never really liked the Audigy series, but they are now the budget series (can be had for as little as $32). They'll get the job done, but the EAX support in URU is kind of spotty (a lot of lag added to the reproduction of sounds even in the offline single-player game).

On the other hand, I think the X-Fi is really worth it... but it's an added cost most people won't even consider. I'm certain the price will drop . . the question is "when?" People poo poo Creative drivers (and that was a reality starting with the release of Windows XP), but aside from the current Vista Beta, I see not a single problem with the X-Fi's drivers. Considering all the solid audio I enjoy, how LITTLE I have to turn my speakers up, my ability to record myself doing things 'in-game' (the way I added audio to a few pieces in the last podcast and how I did my one and only shortwave vidcast), the crystal clear pop and click free audio and many other features all have me really loving this card.

Again, it's a personal preference thing. I hear the clarity difference between the X-Fi and the on-board / host-based audio, but there are plenty of people with speakers that won't bring out that difference.

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:31 pm 
TCT Member

I'm currently on integrated audio - but after saving up, running into many times that I've wanted a new soundcard, and hearing the podcast, I went ahead and ordered a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum!

[img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/original.gif[/img]

Last edited by Kevin8020 on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

<! :orange--> "color:orange"><!--/ >I went to the dark side. I had on-board audio. I thought I'd be happy because it was reasonably good quality and it was compatible with an older game that I was beginning to miss.

I realized that the older game was really starting to age and I didn't miss it as much as I thought, I was getting those pops and clicks from certain audio transitions, and THEN the final blow . . I listened to the newest Enigma album and the sound through my speakers . .. ATROCIOUS!

I stuck the X-Fi back in and . . . HEAVEN! Not everyone has uber powerful THX certified speakers (triple digit RMS Wattage range) . . . But my speakers really bring out the goodness of that card.

I'm NEVER going back to on-board. You can't make me. I won't do it. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/grin.gif[/img]

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next