It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:03 pm 
TCT Member

Well everyone vista has finally been released and is on sale in many stores. Your local Walmart may even have it already with how widely MS is trying to distribute it. Also remember we will be doing a segement covering vista in the next few cast so if you need some advise as to whether Vista will be worth it or usable for you and excatly what you need to be able to run Vista effectively then listen in you may be suprised.

Last edited by Anthony on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >It's a great topic to cover, especially since Anthony and I definitely don't see eye to eye on Vista. I still need a little while to see what's fixed (with release content), what's broken, what's good and what's bad... I tend to be a rather focused user, and I miss a few things that I don't immediately need / want.

We may also need to wait a short while (a month or so) before jumping into a review / recommendation because GameTap still won't install in Vista and URU Live's standalone client isn't too friendly to the experience either (without some coaxing).

Most of the other games I've installed / chose to run are running fine, and all applications are running fine... but there's definitely still some overhead when compared to Vista.

Software bloat.. it's inevitable with Microsoft and games, and I have to stay with one if I want the other . . sigh.

J'nathus<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:42 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
I love this article: <a href="http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=61A19824-89F8-4649-82F7-3062481BA64B" target="_blank">http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?...F7-3062481BA64B</a> the guys at openoffice.org mailed me [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
personally I think they copied a lot of stuff from mac and linux (like the 3D stuff in Mandriva that has been there for a long time as an extra option). Personally I think that a lot of people are just going to stay with w2k and XP and some others (pro-linux people) say that Microsoft forces people and business to switch the Mandriva and MEOL (or wat was the name of that ubuntu based thing ?)

But that's just my anti-microsoft opinion so properbly it will be just great for a lot of people and they'll properbly have a lot of people upgrading, but still I say: it's not over yet... [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:57 am 
Production Staff

Yeah I dont agree with you Bert. I think *a lot* of people will be moving to Vista this year... Its one of those Operating Systems (and probably a first for MS) that is nicer to use than it is to talk about. I'm excited - and I'm getting my Vista Ultimate early next week :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:35 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
The biggest problem is that most of my and a lot of other people their computers will not be able to run Vista Ultimate.
The strangest thing is that the Microsoft Vista Advisor says that my computer should be able to run Vista Ultimate smoothly altough it's run on an AMD sempron 2400+ (1.66 Ghz) and a Nvidea FX 5200, I'm quite sure that this things isn't ready to run the 3D interface properbly.

But the most important reason why I don't like Vista is that the promised support for 64-bit is NOT what it should be, a lot of bèta testers told me that it still isn't using everything of the procesor and also teh drivers and programs using the procesor properbly is very limited. This isn't really microsoft's fault but still , if I need to get a better PC for Vista I wont a AMD 64-bit dual- or multi-core so I wont them to support it entirely.

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 am 
TCT Member

Personally I blame AMD for the lack of 64 bit support. They moved to 64 bit to soon when the demand in the consumer market wasn't there yet.

Bert_2 wrote:
I love this article: <a href="http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=61A19824-89F8-4649-82F7-3062481BA64B" target="_blank">http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?...F7-3062481BA64B</a> the guys at openoffice.org mailed me [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
personally I think they copied a lot of stuff from mac and linux (like the 3D stuff in Mandriva that has been there for a long time as an extra option). Personally I think that a lot of people are just going to stay with w2k and XP and some others (pro-linux people) say that Microsoft forces people and business to switch the Mandriva and MEOL (or wat was the name of that ubuntu based thing ?)

But that's just my anti-microsoft opinion so properbly it will be just great for a lot of people and they'll properbly have a lot of people upgrading, but still I say: it's not over yet... [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Two things the numbers dissagree with you Vista has had faster uptake then 2K the last OS generally avalible to bussinesses first. And two the its uptake was only slightly slower then XP the last consumer OS and this was before conusumers could buy it. So I think Vista will do fine and if the numbers hold up will be their best selling OS yet just like XP was before it.

And Miles have you tried out the Power Shell yet?

Last edited by Anthony on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
I've been reading up on Vista as well, and most of what I've seen and heard seem to indicate that it's a huge improvement over XP, and gorgeous to look at, obviously influenced by Mac OSX. But the consensus seems to be "Yes - but wait for Service Pack 2."

My PC should handle Vista easily, but I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade. It's expensive for starters, and until it makes itself indispensable I really don't see a pressing need to splurge for it.

I have a question for you technoids -- is Vista based on an existing Windows OS, or is it new from the ground up? Just curious... I know that XP was based on Win2K, and wondered if Vista was also derived from an earlier version.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:20 am 
TCT Member

I went in to Best Buy yesterday and found a $300 upgrade from XP. I'll wait for SP1 though.

This sounds like a good TCTech thing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:31 am 
Site Admin

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >The progression (as I know it) is as follows

Windows NT 4.0
Windows NT 5.0 (Better known as Windows 2000)
Windows NT 5.1 (Better known as Windows XP)
Windows NT 6.0 <or 6.1a, I'm not sure on this one> (Better known as Windows Vista)

This doesn't make Vista legacy compatible with everything. As I understand it, much of the compatibility was built in after the fact in things called "shims," or code specifically produced to allow compatibility with older programs (and possibly games).

Vista RC1 ran the UL standalone client just fine.... however the latest client needs to be run in Windows 98 / Me compatibility mode. That is the only game that I have to do that for (so far), however, I do have a minor graphical issue in one other game. Since my current video drivers for my GeForce 8800 GTS are STILL in beta form (although they are in official release on nVidia's site), I can expect that one game to clear up shortly. I'm not sure how long it'll be before UL supports Vista specifically, but in the meantime, it's not what I would call a 'necessary' upgrade for any UL fan whose gaming experience at the most intense 3D is UL. Also, it appears Myst V (another extension on the Plasma engine) hasn't run properly in Vista when cut-scene / engine rendered animations take over, but I haven't tested that on the released version of Vista yet.

When time permits, I'll revive the TCT Tech testing Vista thread.

Oh, and Lego.. (we cross posted it looks like) . . I got my FULL OEM copy of VISTA ULTIMATE from NewEgg for $200.00. Home Premium is $129.99 AND they didn't make me buy a piece of hardware (of course I have bought hardware through them previously).

J'nathus
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 am 
Production Staff

Vista Ultimate full is $230 from my supplier... Home Premium Full is $142... pretty good prices me thinks. Gotta love being able to buy below retail :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am 
TCT Member

Jnathus wrote:
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >The progression (as I know it) is as follows

Windows NT 4.0
Windows NT 5.0 (Better known as Windows 2000)
Windows NT 5.1 (Better known as Windows XP)
Windows NT 6.0 <or 6.1a, I'm not sure on this one> (Better known as Windows Vista)

Vista client is NT 6.0 and the Server will be 6.1. But the client may actually be updated to NT 6.1 with SP1 release late this year.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:16 pm 
TCT Member

Jnathus wrote:
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >Oh, and Lego.. (we cross posted it looks like) . . I got my FULL OEM copy of VISTA ULTIMATE from NewEgg for $200.00. Home Premium is $129.99 AND they didn't make me buy a piece of hardware (of course I have bought hardware through them previously).

J'nathus

You reminded me: I can buy from my Aunt who does marketing and IT for Microsoft. Gotta love employee discounts. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/grin.gif[/img]

That should bring it down to maybe $200 Canadian. Not bad; less expensive than XP Home for sure.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:23 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Come to think of it, I could probably get an educational employee's discount. Hm...

Even if that's the case, I'm going to wait. If GameTap isn't yet Vista compatible, I don't want to lose it. I'm having too much fun with Sam & Max, not to mention Uru Live.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Mowog wrote:
Come to think of it, I could probably get an educational employee's discount. Hm...

Even if that's the case, I'm going to wait. If GameTap isn't yet Vista compatible, I don't want to lose it. I'm having too much fun with Sam & Max, not to mention Uru Live.

Mowog

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >
Yeah, well when you get around to it, Home Premium is only $130 for the OEM copy from NewEgg.. if your school discount doesn't beat that, then there's nothing stopping you from going the OEM copy route. With an OEM copy, you don't get the big pretty box, nor the warranty (forget how long it lasts) . . but then again.. is your Windows Box sitting showcased somewhere? Similarly, have you ever talked to Microsoft support? If the answers to these 2 questions are "no," then OEM copies (and the price benefits enjoyed therein) are definitely for you.

For the same price or lower than you'd pay for an upgrade copy of Vista, you can get a full copy . . . which is the recommended route . . This means YOU Mowog. :-)

J'nathus

Last edited by Jnathus on Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:54 pm 
Production Staff

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a question for you technoids -- is Vista based on an existing Windows OS, or is it new from the ground up? Just curious... I know that XP was based on Win2K, and wondered if Vista was also derived from an earlier version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Vista is actually based upon Windows Server 2003 giving it the stablility and power of one of the best server platforms MS have done, coupled with the compatibility of the XP releases it should be a great OS...

Now ofcourse, as Jnathus says, they've added a ton of shims and related rubbish which breaks a metric ton of that compatibility. But at its core, its a GREAT OS, and I cant wait to upgrade :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next