It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:51 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
well I'm just going to post this image to clear some stuff up, I'm not saying anything about wich OS I love more this time [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

<a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Unix_history.svg" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...nix_history.svg</a>

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:05 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...but as I said we need to stop arguing as I don't want a war over tech on the forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Right, I agree. But I posted that in the name of good ol' lively debate, as a point had been made that wasn't entirely accurate. It was implied that the Apple OS was derivative... and that's as may be, but that in turn makes Windows a derivative of a derivative. At least that's what I derive from it. ;) The GUI existed before Apple, but Apple made it a success; and then MS capitalized on that success. Or putting it another way, Apple took a rudimentary and limited interface designed for copy machines, and made it into a full-featured desktop computer OS for the masses; Microsoft then took that full-featured desktop computer OS for the masses and turned it into... a full-featured desktop computer OS for the masses. Hmmm... So who was the innovator?

All in good fun, because what OS am I running at home? Windows... and I'm not rigidly tied to any OS. I use Windows at work, so it makes sense to use it at home too. Plus, the fact that it's dominated the market makes software and support pretty easy.

Cheers,

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
Anthony wrote:
Ah then why can you chew MS out when they have done the same thing. It can't be both ways; but as I said we need to stop arguing as I don't want a war over tech on the forums. In many ways peoples feelings run just as deep as on religion with tech.

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >No "chewing," just personal observations, some opinion, some experience. Things are still ok.. it's fun to poke at each other.

For my earlier comment, I really didn't mean it the way you took it... clunky text or my careless use of a bit more terse a phrasing than I meant . . . I meant it more to just be a fun poke to most likely illicit another "That's just 'The J'nathus' doing what he does best . . . being irreverent." Fueling the debate, not inflaming it.

Please accept my apology, the 'debate' is really fun.

You are quite correct that there is a certain 'religious fevor' when it comes to tech... I'm sure I am a shining example of it, I'm sure many are. Lego's big into Microsoft, and I'm fairly certain that you are too Anthony (although this 'beta software' thing of yours is a bit scary).

I consider myself open-minded (as I've really grown to love my MacBook Pro and OS X), but I won't really take the time to work with Linux . . so that's not very open-minded then, is it? We all have our tech fix, but it's cool to show off a bit, and show people what we do, what we appreciate, how we do it, and what we do it in, because no one can know everything, and it's fun to explore.

I fear that my explorations are becoming a bit mundane with my time constraints, and it's good to explore and try other things, so I say keep up the poking.

J'nathus
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:10 pm 
TCT Member

I like most the MS software I use and yes its true I'm big in to beta testing software. Its crazy I know a bad piece of software can kill an install of an OS, but I like messing with stuff before its out generally. Everything in software not just MS stuff though.

Now as for my religious thing in tech thats mainly the IBM PC compatible. Thats right that far back. I am and have always been a big supporter of the open architecture it developed. I like the freedom it gives me in making what I want. I make and own my PC no one else does and no one else can tell me what parts or software I can have in it. I feel that I will not change on this.

Last edited by Anthony on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Anthony wrote:
. . . I like the freedom it gives me in making what I want. I make and own my PC no one else does and no one else can tell me what parts or software I can have in it. I feel that I will not change on this.

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >
Preachin' to the converted Ant. I agree whole-heartedly. You can never beat the bang for the buck price point of a home-built machine when you're making gaming PCs.

I'm hoping my recent reactivation thing with Vista was a fluke, but if it's not, well I'm going to have problems, because this indicates microsoft is clamping down on hardware upgrade allowances / reinstallations. I think Paul Thurrott was correct with the assertion that we should be allowed to deactivate and then reactivate... That would help me avoid this activation nightmare altogether I think. I'd deactivate, install the new drivers and / or hardware, then reactivate.

J'nathus
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:37 pm 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 113405
*Ken sits by and watches the train that is this discussion whiz by him. He even waves a few times.*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:13 pm 
TCT Member

*Narym wanders over to sit next to him.*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 am 
TCT Member

*Ken grabs a few rocks and grins mischievously at Narym before tossing a few at the train*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >*J'nathus laughs at Ken's poorly rendered low polygon rocks.<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:00 pm 
TCT Member

*Ken laughs as the sharp edges of his low polygon rock stick like daggers in the side of the train and slice dangerously close to its passengers*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >*J'nathus smirks . . . drawing out his No One Lives Forever Hampton Carbine sniper rifle . . . "So you want to throw projectiles eh???"<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:38 pm 
TCT Member

*Ken strips down to loincloth and red cape and, taking spear in hand, leaps on the back of Narym and vaults into the air, screaming HAROOM as he drives the spear towards Jnathus*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:30 am 
Site Admin

<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >*J'nathus pulls out his trusty all-aluminum MacBook Pro and bonks Ken on the head with it. <!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 am 
Production Staff

*Bert screams "noooooooooooooow, don't hurt the pour mac", obey the mac, you can't hide for it, follow the mac*

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:15 pm 
TCT Member

*Ken's head smashes through the Mac but definitely leaves a few scratches. He reels back around in ultra-cool looking slow motion while rock music plays in the background under a surreal-colored sky.*

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next