It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
I was reading my daily IT newsletter from tweakers.net (sorry, that's in dutch) and found this <a href="http://core.tweakers.net/nieuws/49495/Eindelijk-Linux-ondersteuning-voor-Creative-X-Fi.html" target="_blank">http://core.tweakers.net/nieuws/49495/Eind...ative-X-Fi.html</a>

It sais that the driver is something between bèta and prebèta and that they still have a lot of things to do before it'll work probably. Also it's closed source (otherwise it would take just another 2 days and there would be a very very nice community driver).

Just so the guys with X-Fi stuff know that the driver is coming ;)

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Last edited by Bert_2 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:48 pm 
TCT Member

Awesome.

J'nathus, you now have no excuse [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
Narym wrote:
Awesome.

J'nathus, you now have no excuse [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >Na, I have plenty of excuses. <!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:00 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Interesting news! I played with Ubuntu for some time, but finally uninstalled it, mainly because of the lack of drivers for my X-Fi and graphics card. I had a lot of fun with it, but doing everything at 800x600, with no audio, was kind of a show-stopper.

Thanks!

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 am 
Production Staff

Resolution problems can be fixed in seconds, just some simple commands AND when Gutsy comes out (ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon releases somewhere around the end of October) there'll even be a GUI for it (for the linux people, they gave xorg.conf a gui) ;)

Last edited by Bert_2 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:34 pm 
TCT Member

Thats kind of weird there are alot of things that need be done from the CLI in linux but I never had changing the res be one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 pm 
Production Staff

Well, it's quite simpel. You call sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf that will open up gedit (a texteditor) and there you go to the section "screen" and add the desired screen resolution into modes.

Okey it's not 100% CLI but it used to, you can use a command-line based texteditor, but I just like gedit ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 am 
TCT Member

Well, I had problems with the res on my laptop, but fiddling with experimental drivers and whatnot cleared that up for me. resolutions with intel chipsets (particularly when you want widescreen) are fairly common.

But usually if you can find the right driver for your card, that will clean up any res problems. Incidentally Mowog, what is your GPU?

And a GUI for Xorg [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]. After all my fiddling, though, I kinda became attached to xorg.conf. It's like an old friend ;) Maybe I'll hold off on Gutsy for my laptop. I recently did a real install of Xubuntu on it, which beats the pants off a Ubuntu wubi install. But I will likely install Gutsy on my desktop... or my uber pc when I get it [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last edited by Narym on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:06 am 
Producers

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Incidentally Mowog, what is your GPU?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GeForce 7600 GT.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:49 am 
Production Staff

@Mowog, just install the nvidia drivers from their site or (a lot more easier) get the nvidia-glx-new from synaptic, they'll make it all go a lot better and it should (but it seems to act a little weird sometimes) configure xorg.conf for you.

@Narym, I stick to xorg.conf editing too, it's just a habit and a lot of ubuntuforumers think the same as I do, never trust GUI's [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] (okey no, GUI's are nice but well, xorg.conf can just do more then the GUI can)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:45 pm 
TCT Member

Mowog,

Did you use the restricted drivers manager? If it properly detects your hardware, it should configure you setup automatically and perfectly. IF not, Nvidia almost certainly has a driver for that chipset, so you could install manually.

IMO the Restricted Drivers Manager is an example of a good, easy GUI. I haven't had problems with it when it recognises my GPU . The problems have occurred when I've worked with 8 series cards, which don't yet seem to feature in the RDM, even though Nvidia's made drivers for them. But its not difficult to install manually

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:43 am 
Producers

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you use the restricted drivers manager?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just don't remember. That's been a while back, and I made several attempts using several different methods. I guess I ought to start over with a new Wubi install and see what I can do.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:02 pm 
TCT Member

K, no worries. If you have any problems, just let us know.

EDIT Slightly off topic. The latest version of Wine is starting support for I/O completion ports, which, as I recall, was a major obstacle to playing MOUL in Wine.

Last edited by Narym on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:01 am 
Production Staff

Offtopic: I think lots and lots of people are updating wine as I can't download it ATM

Ontopic: why do you all use wubi installers, before I hadn't even heard of them and right now I only know it's some kind of ubuntu installer on windows :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:05 am 
TCT Member

You can't download it? I downloaded it about six hours ago via apt and had no issues.

As for wubi, I'm well and truly off wubi now. Full installs all the way. But Wubi is really useful. All it does is wack a couple of files (like virtual disks) into your windows filesystem, then makes an addition to the windows bootloader, and you're off. Even less risk then the current simplicity iof the installing/bootloading stuff with grub. But, I think it is a little on the slow side. But, apart from that, and an inability to suspend and hibernate, you have full functionality. A step between live cds and full installs, without risks.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next