It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:02 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Okey people, Gutsy Gibbon is here, with a lot of new key features like ntfs writing, easy hardware detection, COMPIZ FUSION!!!, gnash support, more easy firefox plugin setup and lots of other things that I'm going to explore as soon as I have burned those .iso's.

So get it on <a href="http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu" target="_blank">http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu</a> [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry for the xubuntu people, the Xfce guys are having some trouble with integration of gtk programs and some other stuff I don't remember, but stay tuned ;)

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 pm 
Production Staff

I've been running this since the RC a few days ago and its totally awesome. By far the best Ubuntu release ever. Congrats to the Ubuntu team!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:03 pm 
Production Staff

I used the bèta a few times but it was very buggy and I didn't really have the time to add all the problems I had to launchpad, but all of them are gone now. The liveCD is very nice and it's just great to have the ntfs write libs within ubuntu, Compiz Fusion doesn't want to run from the liveCD because it really *wants* to restart X after installing the drivers. So first I have to clean my HD (ubuntu feisty, ubuntu studio feisty, edubuntu feisty and ubuntu gutsy bèta). I think I'll totally restructure it [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
And then I'll start installing gutsy and lots, lots of programmes [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I primary fat32 for sharing files between all OSs and then a big extended partition containing swap, /home (I'm sick of having 4 different /home's [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] ), a fresh ubuntu gutsy installation and if I can move it, my feisty installation ;)

Last edited by Bert_2 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:48 pm 
TCT Member

Don't your ubuntu partitions need to be primary to be bootable? And why does your fat32 need to be primary, or am I just being confused?

And Gutsy does indeed look awesome. I'm not even going to try and install it on my lappy, and I'll give it a miss on the family desktop, but when I build my uber pc, It'll have vista for games, and gutsy for every thing else (including eye candy ;))

EDIT: So if they've improved hardware detection, does that mean there's better support for things like 8 series Nvidia cards, and the X-fi sound card?

Last edited by Narym on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:20 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: So if they've improved hardware detection, does that mean there's better support for things like 8 series Nvidia cards, and the X-fi sound card?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that's my question too. As mentioned earlier, I uninstalled Wubi because any time I tried to enable my graphics and sound cards, Feisty just didn't want to know...

If I go with Wubi again (I really prefer the easy dual-boot it provides), will it be Gutsy or Feisty?

Thanks,

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:36 pm 
TCT Member

go with Gutsy. Even if it doesn't detect your hardware off that bat (though I think it will, maybe not the x-fi, but the GPU almost definitely) we can still help you configure so it will. Its not overly complicated.

But yeah, go with gutsy. I assume Wubi supports 7.10. I think its fairly version agnostic (coining a j'nathus term ;)), so as long as you have the iso, you should be able to make it work...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:30 am 
Production Staff

Well I'm quite sure we can get your GPU to work. The ubuntu nvidia-glx-new drivers should do and if they don't you can manually install the ones from the nvidia site (and I just checked, they are right on their website).

For the sound, I don't really know whether you should try the new Xfi drivers or not. It's still a bèta release and I'm not even sure where to get them [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

On the partition stuff, I have been juggling with partitions until now and everything seems clean now, I hope that it'll work fine when I finish installing gutsy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:19 am 
TCT Member

I just ordered the CD for Gutsy, and I'm going to do an overnight download for the alt CD so I can update in the mean time. I'm upgrading specifically for the kernel update that will let my laptop use less battery and the printer detector :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:12 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Hi again --

I'm running in Ubuntu at the moment, via Wubi. Unfortunately, it still installs with Feisty and not Gutsy. How can I change that?

Basically, what I'd like to do is to keep the dual-boot option in Wubi, but run Gutsy.

Tnx,

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:03 pm 
Production Staff

check ubuntuforums.org for that, I've installed to much packages today to search for it ;)

BTW, build in Compiz-Fusion is awesome, just activate restricted drivers, restart and it works [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] (it still needs some tweaking and I'm gonna change some stuff with the ccsm, but it's very nice that it WORKS [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:14 pm 
TCT Member

Did you download the iso for gutsy?

It's possible that Wubi has not yet been tweaked to use Gutsy/ But considering Wubi gets all its info regarding the OS from th iso, it shouldn't be that hard.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:09 am 
Production Staff

I have seen something on my CD that contained the word wubi, but I have no idea whether you can use that or not [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:35 am 
TCT Member

Actually, they were talking about trying to have wubi as an official installer for Gutsy... maybe its on the iso?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:40 am 
Production Staff

I just checked my own CD and there's a wubi-cdboot.exe file on it, so I suppose that wubi is on the 7.10 CD ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 pm 
TCT Member

running on gusty right now :)
better than feisty.

exept for some kde bug, i don't know how to get rid of.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next