It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
J'nathus and I were discussing something the other night, with the result that I've just ordered a second hard drive for my PC. My intent is to install Vista to this 250GB unit, while leaving XP on my current drive. And while I'm at it, I want to partition the new drive to accommodate both Vista and Ubuntu 7.10.

I'm considering three partitions, one for Vista, one for Gutsy, and the remainder for general storage. If I take this route, what size partitions would you suggest?

Thanks!

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >I'd leave a comfortable margin for Vista, as it'll take up more room than XP, especially if you eventually end up installing everything you have in XP into Vista (as I have).

I'd say no less than 100 GB for Vista, 30 GB for Ubuntu and the rest for general storage (100 GB) . . . remembering that a 250GB hard drive formats to 230 or so GB.

Be aware that Vista can read XP's partition and vice versa.<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:55 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Well, what I would do is the following (it's quite technical but it's also very flexible) make a partition of at least 50GB for windows vista, 10GB for the gutsy root (/) and another 10-20GB for the /home partition (/home contains your documents and some other stuff). Off course you'll need a swap too, I use one of 2GB but you just need 512MB (though it is recommended that you have at least as much swap as you have DRR RAM memory).

Then you'll have plenty of space left to install other systems and also for a shared partition to share stuff between Windows and Linux more easily.

PS. This is kind of what I would use (only my windows partition would be at least 80GB) but perhaps something else is more suitable for you ;)

PSS. If you need help making these partitions and setting them up in your ubuntu installation just mail, PM or IM me [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:11 pm 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 0
Yeah, if you don't put your documents and programs and stuff in your root partition for Ubuntu, it doesn't need to be any more than 15GB max. and your swap partition (the linux equivalent of the page file)doesn't need to be any larger than twice your ram, though you won't need that much.

If you wanted to be really tricky, you could make the home parition the same as your shared partition, but then your asking to accidentally delete some program files that your Linux applications need to run [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

But then,you have ample space. 30GB for both the linux root (/) and the home (/home) is sufficient. But if you make them into seperate partitions, it makes upgrading much easier. You just format the root parition, and reinstall the newest version of ubuntu to that partition, designate the old home partition as the new home partition during install and all your documents, applications etc are all still intact

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:20 am 
TCT Member

I'd make a 20GB Gutsy partition as Linux stuff isn't that big, then I would leave the rest for Vista.

Its easy to create shared folders in vista, Ubuntu can read NTFS partitions (with no extra work.) If your really concerned about real storage buy anouther drive

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]