It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
For those of you who haven't noticed, ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex has been released today.

Some of the new features are:
support for tabs in nautilus, the file manager
A simpler shutdown and user login applet
3G and extended WiFi support
Extra dark themes
New sound packs
Support for even more hardware
Private encrypted directories are now more easy to setup
You can now boot into the latest working kernel and his options (no more storing of old kernels)
Recovery mode has been simplified even more and has more functions
There's a system cleaner app to make it easier to delete 3th party software
Also a simple app to make USB bootable images from CD images has been added

and even a lot more.

Consider to update or install as soon as possible.
I'm busy downloading the latest images now :D

Let me know what you think ;)

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Thanks, Bert, that's good news!

Wouldn't you know it, though - I just tried to install Wubi 8.10 on my work laptop, and it doesn't have enough RAM for the installation.

Shoot, that's the machine I use to experiment with. Ah well... time for more RAM, or maybe even a new laptop! :lol:

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm 
Production Staff

Or you could just boot from the CD instead of using Wubi.

The installer is a lot user friendlier now and will graphically show you what it's going to resize when repartitioning, it's easier than ever to use the liveCD installer ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm 
Producers

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or you could just boot from the CD instead of using Wubi.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True -- but my laptop only has 256MB of RAM, which is sort of a joke these days. (It's about three years old.) So I checked up on RAM prices, found out it's pretty cheap for my machine, and shot a note to our secretary asking if I could order a GB or two. Yeah, it will let me run Ubuntu from Wubi... but it will also speed up the other, legitimate, stuff I do on that laptop.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:21 pm 
Producers

Hey, just a quick note - I actually did upgrade the RAM in my laptop, have installed Ubuntu 8.10, and am currently using it as the main OS on this machine... like right now. I'm very impressed! Everything's working, I have audio, I've been installing apps and plugins as needed, and wow... very cool!

Thanks for the post, Bert!

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:21 pm 
Production Staff

Owyeah Mowog, did I already tell you that the X-fi drivers have been opensourced, creative had spent so much time on the Vista drivers that they kept pushing back the linux drivers at first, and now the development went to slow. So they just gave it to us.

I guess that better X-fi drivers will be part of jaunty (9.04)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:45 pm 
Producers

Interesting news, Bert. By the way, the only bug - and a minor one - that I've found with Intrepid on my work laptop is that it doesn't work with my USB headphones and microphone combo. With the headphones plugged in, you still get sound through the laptop speakers, and nothing through the headset. And the microphone's DOA as well. Again, that's a very minor issue, and I noticed it only because I was experimenting around to see if it would work. I have yet to try recording with a conventional microphone; meaning, one that plugs into the mike port vs. USB. And regular headphones work okay, it's just the USB model that's not playing along.

Cheer,

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:52 pm 
Production Staff

There are managers to switch input and output devices but because we use the progressive pulseaudio alsa manager I'm not sure which one to pick.
So I can't really help you with all that, but I guess it can work in one way or another :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:53 am 
TCT Member

Is pulse actually functional yet? I had so many issues trying to get various hardware and applications to work with Pulse that I just abandoned it for the old stalwarts, OSS and ALSA.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:58 am 
Production Staff

I have heard that pulse is well configured in intrepid, I'm still running hardy (lack of time to upgrade) and I have used an online guide to configure my pulseaudio better (and I have all the extra configuration apps I need installed, like the pulseaudio device chooser).

Let's say it's supposed to work but sticking with alsa isn't a bad thing for the time being ;) :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 am 
Producers

Bert, you wrote:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm still running hardy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just out of curiosity, since this isn't applicable in my case, how do you update from one distro to the next? Does it involve a complete reinstall, or is the installer configured to recognize a previous distro and upgrade accordingly?

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 am 
Production Staff

That's one of the awesome things about ubuntu, if you use official ubuntu repositories (which every non-dev or power-user does), you can just upgrade with a single click or command.

The system will download all the new packages and upgrade everything, also all the programs you installed from synaptic and all your settings will still be there.

This kind of upgrade is one of the things that just simply makes us better than windows, upgrading is straight forward, no re-installing, no re-configuring, nothing's lost, you only go forward ;)

That's what I call "the linux way" :D :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 am 
TCT Member

You can also (if you're going old school and partitioning) create partitions for different sectors of the Linux filesystem. For example, I'm running Ubuntu single-boot but have three partitions, linux swap, /(root), and /home. During installation of an upgrade (I like fresh installs), I tell the manager to mount / at / and overwrite, mount swap as swap, and mount /home as /home but don't overwrite so that all my configuration data and files are intact while getting all the advantages of a full fresh install.

The thing I hate with the built-in upgrade is that whenever Canonical makes a release their servers grind to a halt. I bittorrent the CD.

I'm loving it. New ATI drivers are making my life amazing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:28 pm 
Production Staff

Of course I split of my /home, I can charge it through ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu that way and it's easy to backup.

But I officially have the most complex partitioned harddrives in the near distance :P

Pictures: <a href="http://rpgfamilie.net/images/partitions/" target="_blank">http://rpgfamilie.net/images/partitions/</a>

It's getting time I upgrade, I still run on an enhanced, hacked, over-powered version of hardy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 am 
TCT Member

*mentioning above PA conversation*

This is one of the few things that bugs me about Ubuntu. By default, Audacity runs with OSS, but ever since I've used Ubuntu we've been on ALSA. And now PulseAudio comes along and wreaks all the progress I made (In Gutsy I had to play with the sound forever to get it to just play any sounds at all)

Maybe it's my laptop, but Ubuntu's sound systems aren't doing me any favours with Audacity. I know I can make it work, I just don't have the time to sit down and do it.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next