It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:38 am 
TCT Member

I really enjoyed your latest podcast. At first I was a little lost with the song but as soon as I finished the podcast I went out and got a copy of Portal and when I finished it I re-listened to the Podcast and enjoyed it even more. I know in the past podcasts you have discussed other games i.e. Paradise. I found that one and played it too because of the podcast. And even though it wasn't a game, I even got the Mantis Parable because of the podcast. I think you guys should look at other games, movies, shows, etc. and give us the low down especially if they appeal to others within the Myst community. These will keep us going until MORE picks back up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
Thank you for that recommendation.

Internally a discussion about this very topic is being had. Our conclusions are very similar.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 307688
Title: Yeah. That's how I roll.
0.o

Wow, people actually take our suggestions seriously? Amazing... why, we could tell people to do things, and they'd do them...

This feels like.... power.... UNLIMITED POWER!!!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Or not. :P

DaishoCast, recorded live every Sunday Night at 8:30 CST!
DaishoCast Live!

"That is... disturbingly epic." ~ Drakmyth, on Robot Unicorn Attack.

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Alhon wrote:
This feels like.... power.... UNLIMITED POWER!!!! HA HA HA HA!!!!
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >Why, with these powers, you could be a SUPER HERO!!! Too bad you've decided to channel your abilities into that of a super villain . . . Darth!

Jlucero's request makes me wonder if Benoit Sokal's "The Sinking Island" has come out yet.
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 pm 
TCT Member

I'd like to add how much I like the TCT talk. That's really the forum I like hearing different takes on things. There are snibbits on things I wish could be elaborated on. For example, in the last podcast, Anthony hinted on how many in the community feel about SL. I’m listening saying “Tell me more!â€

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

jlucero wrote:
. . . in the last podcast, Anthony hinted on how many in the community feel about SL.
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ > SL is a wide open world with all manner of potential. I do not know the exact frame of reference for it yet, but there is a strong URU community in SL. However, in SL there are all manner of other things and people, including a good number of grief-ers. Grief-ers are people who go into online worlds just to mess with other people. A comment Sh'aeri once said to me about how certain people are emboldened sitting behind a computer monitor. I've seen this many times myself and it's a bit annoying. On top of that, SL seems to have very few rules, so 'anything goes' which means there is simulated nudity (by wearing a 'nude suit') which leads to simulated sex and other manner of things that do not sit well with much of the URU community. Supposedly the areas where such a thing is allowed are easily accessed and easily avoided, but I don't know for sure myself. I consider any rejection of SL based on this particular 'variety' to be a bit ill-conceived if not a bit naive, but then again, I personally won't got into SL for the simple fact that it's not really a game. The social element and the low quality graphics both kind of kill it for me. I need something to do, like in World of Warcraft . . . where grinding isn't just an activity . . . it's a job!<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:51 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example, in the last podcast, Anthony hinted on how many in the community feel about SL. I’m listening saying “Tell me more!”<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Funny you'd mention that. I've recently joined Second Life myself, for a couple of reasons: One, I'm just curious about it. And two, I'd heard that there was a pretty well-established Uru community there, and I felt I could handle the task of being, in essence, TCT's presence in Second Life, reporting back on my experiences as I joined and familiarized myself with SL and the resident Uru community.

I've been quite impressed so far, but for different reasons than I was impressed by Uru itself. Yeah, the graphics quality in SL is notably inferior to Cyan's work. And even though there are a jillion ways to customize your avatar, they still look a little cheap, and the walking motions are quick and jerky.

But - the ability to communicate is amazing. Having dealt with the KI all this time, the many options available in SL are liberating. For example, you can chat simultaneously to different folks via a tabs-based panel that lets you switch back and forth easily. You can also create objects at your whim, using tools built into the GUI. Yeah, it's cool to customize your environment. But when you see lavish homes like the one SuperGram created with a friend, you can't help but be really impressed. She's got a lavish estate, complete with a two-story mansion and extensive gardens. Wow. I also hung out at the Age and Country Hotel for a while, and that's pretty nice too.

As for the community, in addition to my initial welcome by SuperGram I was recently invited to the area frequented by Thend and some other Uru avids. He provided me a cabin I can use until I get my own land (whenever THAT may be... I'm still trying to think of a way to explain to the Mrs. why she may start seeing little charges appear in the checking account). He also walked me and some others through a large community center he's building. Very nice! The old Uru hospitality is very much alive and well in SL.

Now on to the griefer issue. So far, except for my initial link-in to SL, I've spent my time entirely in areas owned by members of the Uru community. Once a friend invites you to teleport to their area, that link stays in your inventory; meaning that once you've visited a lot of friends, you can essentially teleport around their places without ever seeing the general-access locations where the "other side" hangs out. Granted, I've only spent three or four evenings in SL, so I don't know this for sure; but griefing may not be that much of an issue if you're selective about where you go.

Again, I'm still a rank newbie when it comes to SL, and that's actually okay with me. It's letting me gather up some ideas for future Mowog Thought pieces where I can relate my experiences so far, mainly for the ears of folks like me who have been involved in Uru for some time and are interested in trying Second Life as an alternative.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:56 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 307688
Title: Yeah. That's how I roll.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why, with these powers, you could be a SUPER HERO!!! Too bad you've decided to channel your abilities into that of a super villain . . . Darth!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But... but.... villainy is just so much fun... And the Jedi told me I wasn't allowed to shoot lightning out of my fingers. And I LOVE shooting lighting from my fingers. Always handy when my laptop runs out of juice.

Er... maybe that's why my mom's old one fried.....

*waves hand* You did not read my post....

DaishoCast, recorded live every Sunday Night at 8:30 CST!
DaishoCast Live!

"That is... disturbingly epic." ~ Drakmyth, on Robot Unicorn Attack.

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Alhon wrote:
*waves hand* You did not read my post....
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >*waves hand* Why did you make me wave my hand? Of course I read your post! <!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:15 pm 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 3732175
Glad to hear abouth Sokal's "The Sinking Island".

Don't like "griefers" and try to avoid them.

If you don't mind games of a simpler nature, "Dream Chronicles II" is out.

Why are you guys waving your hands??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Creekwriter wrote:
Why are you guys waving your hands??
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >Alhon was using the force on me, but he's not very good. His master must've gotten "The Dark Side for Dummies." <!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:02 am 
TCT Member

Have any of you played the game Dreamfall: The Longest Journey? I'm on Chapter 4.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:08 am 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 3732175
jlucero wrote:
Have any of you played the game Dreamfall: The Longest Journey? I'm on Chapter 4.

Yeah. Great game.

:blink: Something fishy going on here. There was another thread wherein I mentioned this game, and Mowog did, too, but it seems to have disappeared. J'Nathus, do you know what's going on here?

I agree with your thoughts about "keeping us going", though. You may also want to play "The Longest Journey" which preceded Dreamfall and April Ryan is the main character, at a younger age. Since it's an older game, you should be able to find a used copy online pretty cheap.

Watch out for those trolls, amigo!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 am 
TCT Member

I do have it and did start it a long time ago but never finished it. When I got this one I thought I would play it because of the improved graphics.

How about Dead Reefs? Anyone play that one? I finished it last month.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: Owns Seven Copies of Riven
jlucero wrote:

I loved the game. I was one of those folks who bought The Longest Journey day one, and sat waiting a great long while for the sequel to even be announced.

I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but I found the ending to be pretty underwhelming, especially because I don't know how well the game did, and if there ever will be a Longest Journey 3.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next