It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Uru Age Journals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:19 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: Owns Seven Copies of Riven
So, I was cleaning up my hard drive a bit, and I came across some journals that I had written back in the day when I was first playing Uru, and also replaying the other MYST games at the time of Uru's release. I figured I'd share them here. Enjoy!

These are my journals… My record of the paths I’ve taken, and the reactions I’ve shared with these fabulous places. It begins…

It felt so strange – the calling. The Uru begins; that deep city…

I remember arriving in the desert and feeling that hot sun beat on the back of my neck. The moment Jeff Zandi saw me approach his trailer with a backpack and a flashlight, he knew why I had come. I wasn’t the first to make this journey. Like the others, I felt drawn to the cleft.

I had so many notes in my bag; all the texts I could get my hands on, and all my internet research on the D’ni culture and language. I felt ready, then, but now that I’ve seen more of the vast cold chambers of stone, I realized how emotionally and mentally unprepared I was.

Yeesha… the Journey… The Least… The Restoration… The Bahro… It all meant something important, but it was something that I simply couldn’t fully understand.

But was I being used? Yeesha speaks of the D’ni in such negative terms. She speaks of opulence, pride, cruelty, secrecy, arrogance, and greed. Yet these were the traits I would never have associated with the majestic crafters of the D’ni caverns. Part of me felt as though U was being manipulated, and that made me uneasy.

Still, I would be there now. I stood in the humming cage of metal that was the Nexus gateway system that the D’ni had devised, awaiting my link to the deep city, the ancient Uru, the great caverns of the D’ni. With a sense of tremendous warmth and honor, I touched my hand to the panel of the Nexus book, and linked to the Ferry Terminal of D’ni. I was going to see Kerath’s Arch, firsthand…

~Jeff “A’hevtee” Wise, D’ni Explorer

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Uru Age Journals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: Owns Seven Copies of Riven
D’ni – Harbors and Kerath’s Arch
That familiar tingling sensation enveloped his body again. Over the last several hours, Jeff felt himself growing used to the feeling. One thing he couldn’t get used to, however, was his first breathtaking view of each new age he linked to.
And now he was in D’ni.
The size and beauty of it nearly knocked him down. He stood on a stone dock the size of several football fields. On and on it stretched, webbed with tiny cracks and holes. Debris littered some of the more open parts of the dock way, and many of the remaining boats were capsized or filled with water. Several large boulders that must have fallen from the cavern roof partly obscured a massive stone staircase that Jeff could see leading back up to the city.
Stretched before him was the vast harbor of D’ni. For being underground, seeing a body of water as massive as the D’ni Lake truly humbled one. This place, this cavern, was three miles below the surface. Three miles!
He walked towards the edge of the water and lightly kicked a small piece of rubbled stone in the lake. There wasn’t the usual smell you’d expect from a stagnant-looking lake, either. Jeff was most surprised to discover that the cavern didn’t really smell much at all. Everything seemed so well ventilated. Even after everything he had read, he’d always expected the D’ni caverns to be, at least a little, dank.
Behind him were the stone steps that would lead up to the other areas of the city, and to Tokotah Alley. It was quite a climb, but that’s why he came here, wasn’t it? To explore!
Although the stairwell was difficult to traverse because of the fallen stones and debris, the upper marketplace buildings were in surprising shape. Other pathways branched off from here, and Jeff knew that one of these would lead to the great Library; a definite site he’d want to visit.
To his left was a little tent and outpost set up by the DRC. They had been here already, of course, and had erected a small sign reminding all travelers to link to Gahreesen for their KI, a small “cell phone” like device named after the D’ni numeral for “3”. An arrow beneath the announcement pointed towards a linking chamber that apparently housed a book that linked to the Maintainer’s Age.

Noloben Age – Escher’s Lab
For an adobe hut, the half-sphere hut certainly kept warm against the chilled winds of the coastline outside. The sun had just set, and as far as Jeff could tell, the days in this place lasted 4 times longer than Earth, and the night would likely last just as long.
Exploring the lab, the first thing that hit Jeff’s nostrils was the smell. The room must have been housing dozens of experiments, for tables lined the walls, and each seemed positively cluttered with hundreds of tiny vials, each holding a fluid of a slightly different color. There were vivid blues and reds, but the majority of these vials held a liquid of some shade of green. The few vials that were opened seemed to be generating the unbearable stink that stifled Jeff’s breathing in the curious hovel.
Several of the tables had diagrams and notes scattered across them. One glance and Jeff could tell that these were D’ni. The easily recognizable writing covered each manuscript, barely leaving room for the diagrams and mathematical equations. Although not knowledgeable in chemistry or math, Jeff could surmise that these diagrams appeared to represent different combinations of whatever was in the vials, and on a second look, Jeff picked out the D’ni word for venom scattered through each document.
These were poisons!

Stoneship Age
Jeff smiled as he linked to the deck of the wooden ship that found itself lodged an fused against the rocks. The sun was just beginning to set here, but the air was surprisingly warm for being part of a coastline, and there was a healthy coat of green moss across a majority of the rocks jutting from the endless sea.
He remembered the first time he had read about this age… about the three boys who originally lived here; and the experiments with The Art that Atrus had conducted here that led to the ship he had tried to add to the age becoming a permanent part of the jagged stone island. At last Jeff could see the evidence for himself. To the right of him was the tunnel that he knew would lead down to the room Sirrus had chosen for his bedchamber.
He turned to take another look at the expansive and endless sea.

That's all I was able to find. I know there was a more complete version of these journals, but this fragment was interesting. I barely remember even writing it.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]