It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2020 Camaro SS 455 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >Several months ago I installed URU the Complete Chronicles so I could get a bit of my in-cavern fix while I waited the large amount of time between the closure of MOUL and the opening of MORE. I think that at the time I installed URU CC I didn't know that MORE was coming.

Now, I fired URU CC up the other day and I touched a few journey clothes in the Cleft area but I didn't go much further. The game looked better than I remembered and ran better too. However, I just feel the spark is gone. I don't want to do it again. My slight desire to see the sights of URU is smothered by having to do all of these ages yet again!.

The main reason I don't want to go through this is that after the cleft, I have nothing but more empty ages ahead. URU CC isn't live, or even Until URU and it definitely isn't MORE. There's no potential to see anyone else. Even though I hardly spoke to other people in cavern, URU as a game feels so wrong without the people.

Does anyone else feel this way?
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:05 am 
TCT Member

/me

I am a little different as I was only in the public cavern for 6 months and I too never really engaged with others. But I miss the oppotunity as I was just coming out of my shell when MOUL closed. I have had CC installed for months so I can visit fan ages. Recently I converted my MOUL ages with Drizzle and eveytime I go to K'veer I start to get a tear of sadness now that it is empty. Yes I get that feeling that Uru is not Uru without the poeple. I have no one to play with. So for me my online world is this, hence why I don't feel it the same as others. I really enjoy what I do and I don't need the cavern to do it but it is prefered.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:59 am 
Website Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: TCT Member
I have been playing Uru a lot lately, I have searched Uru CC and put flymode and ULM on it and added extra ages.
The fan-created ages are great, but I sometimes feel sad that I'm alone in them, I would love to see Arha Pahts filled with beautiful shells and lots, lots of people, that would be so much fun :D

But you know, it is possible, it will be illegal, but it is possible. (Plasma is still there, and I have it running here at home on my debian test server, I even downgraded it to make it possible to run it) The only problem is that the Uru community doesn't want to do illegal things and hurt cyan.

Sometimes I really don't know what I have to expect, is Uru going on or not, are the other guilds going on, is anyone going on ?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:34 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
I still enjoy visiting the Ages, empty though they may be. Yes, I miss other explorers! But the Ages and Cavern still provide something for me.

Having said that, my recent experiences in Second Life have proven that the community itself is very much alive and well. Shortly after posting my SL name on the MOUL forum, on my next visit to SL I was swamped with invitations. I've spent quite a while visiting with SuperGram in her quite astonishing property. She's built a lavish estate, essentially, with a beautiful two-story house, gardens, a waterfall, you name it. In fact, it took us so long to take the tour and visit a bit, that I haven't yet been to any other Uru locations. Yeah, SL is different! But if you miss the people, they're there in substantial numbers, as is the good old Uru camaraderie.

I still don't have Uru CC. Never bought it, having downloaded To D'ni and PotS on top of my original ABM installation. And since that was on a previous PC, they're long gone. I'd like to get CC though, if just so I can go to Ahnonay and Er'cana again. And if I get around to modding CC with the User Age patches, that too.

Only to say that the people are still out there, you just have to use an alternative means of getting together!

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:15 pm 
Former Staff

I wish I had bought Path of the Shell when it came out... It was nearly impossible to find so I'm stuck with ABM and To D'ni :( Can one still buy it online?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 pm 
Production Staff

Title: Owns Seven Copies of Riven
You can find both for pretty cheap. The Complete Chronicles is the way to go, though.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Myst-Uru-Complete-Chronicles-Pc/dp/B00023XXMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1224387590&sr=1-2" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Myst-Uru-Complete-Ch...7590&sr=1-2</a>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Myst-Uru-Path-Shell-Expansion-Pc/dp/B00023XXLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1224387590&sr=1-1" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Myst-Uru-Path-Shell-...7590&sr=1-1</a>

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff Wise wrote:
You can find both for pretty cheap. The Complete Chronicles is the way to go, though.
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >I don't think Miles can buy either of those, being that he's in South Africa.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 pm 
Production Staff

Title: Owns Seven Copies of Riven
Amazon doesn't ship internationally? I thought they did. Shows how little I know about anything...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff Wise wrote:
Amazon doesn't ship internationally? I thought they did. Shows how little I know about anything...
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >International maybe, SA probably not. Take a look at UPS and see what it costs to send a CD to SA. :) Trust me.. it's price prohibitive.

If only there could be a URU CC on Steam or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:24 pm 
Former Staff

Amazon is a rather funny story actually :) A few months back they started adding a "Insurance Tax" to all Amazon purchases because our postal service (the aptly named, South African Post Office) is so very pathetic at security that most Amazon purchases were being stolen by people working at the main sorting facility.

LOL and Sigh, at the same time.

Last edited by Miles on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:14 pm 
Website Staff

Miles, did you read my PM on this, I already got a yes from mowog

Yeah, I know the reputation of the south-african postal service, it's the same as most african postal services and airports have.
It's like they didn't lose my bags in Jo'burg and Lusaka when I travelled to Zambia, no, they were just delayed (and we didn't put at least 2 locks on each bag for a good reason, no it was totally unnecessary).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 48632
Title: Aesthetics Guy
Let me tell you one of the main things about Uru that I love.

With all of the pressures of the world, there's a kind of really great feeling to be able to just...warp to another world. But before you begin to compare it to other online games- Moreover I liked the ability to be able to be MYSELF. And to have things that relatively speaking still follow the laws of physics (you can't fly.) Back in the days when I was still was a kid and had more imagination, I'd load up CC just to sit and stare, and immerse myself in this other world, this BREAK from reality into something peaceful and beautiful. The garden ages were a good example.

As you can well imagine, this loses its impact after a while.

So what drew me into Uru live?
At least, back in the days of Until Uru, you had a community that was entirely built up of respectful, intelligent and welcoming people that weould hold neat events and stuff and really make you feel like a member of a neighborhood.
That...and every human's dream, in my opinion...the ability to grab a friend, and take them to a new world where the two of you can be alone, and relax.

Once Uru Live came back, a lot of this went away. The monthly progressions were calculated and unrealistic and the community began to be flooded with more mainstream crowds that were a little less respectful of the nature of Uru and desired only content. In an attempt to introduce an engaging story we found ourselves in the middle of something epic and melodramatic.

All along...what I, and I hope others agree, really wanted was something much more...quirky. Slighter. A much more "hey, look at this. Isn't that quite interesting?" Sort of thing.

And I think this is what the folks at Cyan originally intended. The whole yeesha story was, apparently, an afterthought to accomidate singler-player...Which makes sense when you think about it.

I don't know if I can go back at this point. Too many times this has happened and it seems to have been doomed from the start. I can't just start over with the same old thing.

There's really only one way I can see this ever working out. And we all know, myself included, that this will NEVER happen. It can't. We know this already. But it's the only way I can see Uru ever working again.

Reworking it. Bottom up. Change the graphics, change the ages, change the premise. Or even keep the old ages but change the premise. Completely overhaul the game. UCC Should be a factor, perhaps not a significant factor but something along the lines of a "generic" modify-able age that each explorer gets.
But most importantly...just...major oerhaul.

But as I said...This will never happen.

So I dunno.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:41 pm 
Former Staff

I continue to assert the gigantic neccesity for Cyan to try their hardest to opensource the Until Uru client and server. Those in the community with systems development experience (and one doesn't need to look far considering the Alcugs, Huru and Age Builders communities) could really produce a fantastic version of the Uru game we all love.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:24 am 
Website Staff

And I know some guys who have been making a lot of stuff in secret, they made the IGORKI, which makes it very simple to add ages to the nexus (fan-made) and lots of other odd stuff with the old plasma server. They're made by one of the biggest geniuses/geeks I know, but I can't say more, sorry ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 am 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 3732175
Maurus wrote:
Let me tell you one of the main things about Uru that I love.

With all of the pressures of the world, there's a kind of really great feeling to be able to just...warp to another world. ...Back in the days when I was still was a kid and had more imagination, I'd load up CC just to sit and stare, and immerse myself in this other world, this BREAK from reality into something peaceful and beautiful. The garden ages were a good example.

Well said, Maurus. It echoes my feelings precisely, although my wanderings included Exile, Riven and even Myst. Quite a few years back, I wrote to Cyan and suggested why not write some additional stories, or possibly a prequel, using the same islands/worlds, since as a player/explorer I already knew my way around, so to speak. It seemed to make sense to me that it would be cheaper and quicker, since they could use a lot of the existing computer code and technology, and I'm sure the fans/community would buy it. Well, they thanked me for my thoughts, and obviously filed them away in the recycle bin.

I can't help but feel that even now, although there is a lot of encouragement for fan based created worlds, Cyan (Rand) would in his private thoughts, prefer to originate anything they put their name on. In my darker moments I even feel like they are ready to put all Myst related projects to final rest, and move on to newer things with more potential for success (translated in business terms=income and glory at their once high level).

'nuff said about that. Excuse me while I go back to that Star Wars KotOR thread and get a good laugh out of J'nathus quips!

Creekwriter

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]