It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:22 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 307688
Title: Yeah. That's how I roll.
It's official.... I just wrote the last sentence of my book!

I've been working on Dathari for 6 years now, and I can't tell you how excited I am to actually finish it! Admittedly it's a bittersweet ending, but I'm just so freakin' excited now!

If you want to read it in its rough internet version I can give you the link, but if you want to wait, I'm hoping to publish this spring. I already have a friend who's helping me with cover art, and after about a week off I intend to start the final edit.

From there... who knows? I've got a few story threads that I might expand on. Ty's been trying to get me to help him with another project (which I might do)... but for the first time, there won't be a Dathari to fall back to.

Y'know, it's really kind of scary. This has been a big part of my life for my teen years.

Anyway, enough ranting. You can find the rest at <a href="http://alhon.deviantart.com/gallery/#Dathari-III" target="_blank">http://alhon.deviantart.com/gallery/#Dathari-III</a>

DaishoCast, recorded live every Sunday Night at 8:30 CST!
DaishoCast Live!

"That is... disturbingly epic." ~ Drakmyth, on Robot Unicorn Attack.

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:33 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Bravo!

That's excellent news, and I wish you all success with Dathari. You can probably tell that I enjoy writing too, and fortunately my work as a tech trainer is an outlet to an extent, as I have to write all the text for my online courseware, all the while attempting to keep dry topics engaging and interesting.

But I'm also strongly creative, and I take great pleasure in capturing my flights of fancy every now and then. I'm also nursing a potential book, but typically, it's rather odd and involves bunnies. We'll see if it ever happens, but I just keep having ideas that somehow coalesce into stories.

Again, congratulations on finishing Dathari. I'll read it online, but rest assured that if you publish, you'll have at least one sale. ^_^

Here's to creativity,

Mowog

[Edit - Alhon, I copied Dathari III in its entirety into a Word document at work, and printed it so I can read it over the weekend. 62 pages! Glad it wasn't MY paper I was using... ;-) ]

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:32 pm 
Producers

Alhon -

I finished reading Dathari III this morning. WOW! Cracking good story! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like the best fantasy stories, it did a good job of hinting at a much greater whole, and I found myself wanting to know more. The characters were well defined, the story was gripping and well told... in short, bravo!

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:00 pm 
Production Staff

Wow, you really think so? I'm glad it turned out so well! I have to admit, a lot of the second half was written when it was near midnight and it was the last thing I'd do before bed...

I really appreciate it, Mowog. To be honest, as far as I know, you're the first person who's actually read the book, so I really take your opinion seriously... and it's really lifted my spirits today. Glad you liked it! Tell your friends, all that Jazz. :P

DaishoCast Live!

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 am 
Former Staff

I'm going to do that same :) Don't you wanna provide a nice PDF to save us copying 18 deviations into one? (says lazy Miles:) :)

Seriously though Alhon - congratulations! I've never finished any book I started writing, and it looks like you've really put a lot of thought and effort into this production! Well done.

Now! We're an audio bunch... let's get this recorded as an AudioBook :D

-Miles

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:02 am 
Production Staff

Heh... I'm stupid... I never thought of that!

So... Did that. :) Here ya go!

<a href="http://students.uwsp.edu/eolp394/Dathari3.pdf" target="_blank">http://students.uwsp.edu/eolp394/Dathari3.pdf</a>

If it doesn't work, just refresh. Should work then.

And if you guys want to audiobook it, that's entirely up to you. I'd definitely help, but maybe you want to wait until I actually publish the three as a book. :)

DaishoCast Live!

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Last edited by Alhon on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 am 
Producers

If you do decide to produce an audio version of Dathari, count me in. I know we've discussed this before, and I seem to recall voicing a couple of characters for you as a test case. But now that I've read the entire story, I think I have a better grasp on the characters.

I see this is Dathari III - what about the first two?

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:57 am 
Production Staff

The first two are going to be going through some major edits. A lot of things that were unexplained in the third (Like Alhon's power and why he dies from old age so young, and Nariya's scar) are in the first two, so those will be cleaned up before I publish. Actually, I'm expecting I'll have to rewrite a ton of the first book, because it's so rough.

But if people want to do an audiobook, let me know, I'd love to make one! The only catch is that we have a number of prominent female roles in the book, and a grand total of 0 here on staff... tie it into the recruting drive, maybe?

DaishoCast Live!

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:21 pm 
Producers

Have you posted the earlier installments? I'd like to read the rest of the story, too.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:01 pm 
Production Staff

Yeah, they're on the same site.

<a href="http://alhon.deviantart.com/gallery/" target="_blank">http://alhon.deviantart.com/gallery/</a>

Just pick your story on the sidebar. I'll warn you though, the earlier stories are really rough, and It's almost painful. Realize as you go through them that they were learning processes, and a lot of their errors will hopefully be fixed by the book's release. :)

DaishoCast Live!

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]