It is currently Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2020 Camaro SS 455 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >I've been slowly running through URU CC the last couple of weeks. It's hard to muster the desire to go to these ages knowing that the whole of the game is entirely empty.

It's surprising though, how well this game runs on Windows 7 Beta. I've been noticing some nifty bits that the Plasma engine manages that not all games do . . . like the warping around the edges that most 3D engines suffer is minimized in Plasma (and almost completely eliminated in Myst V).

I remember hearing people talking about cones with varying levels of love, hate, amusement, etc. Then I remember going back into the single player game and wondering how or why people derived any meaning at all from this prop that served as a strong contrast to the worlds I was exploring.

So far, I've cleared Teledahn and Gahreesen. I've just started Kadish Tolesa, but I stopped. It's hard to muster the desire to play through these ages YET AGAIN (after all the times we played through them in UU, D'mala & MOUL). I did it less than most.

Oh, and that little jump in Gahreesen.. NAILED IT ON THE FIRST TRY!!! I had a lot of trouble doing it with the new physics engine in MOUL.

Anyone else taking a touristy trip through URU lately?
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Good post. I re-installed Uru ABM from the original CDs a couple of months back, and while the experience is a solitary one, save for Zandi and Yeesha - and remember that the real-life Yeesha, not a hologram, appears at the end of ABM - I've still enjoyed the experience. Even in its limited, single-player iteration, Uru still fascinates me. I still like the free exploration, seeking out areas and viewing angles I've never seen before. As for Kadish, when I explored that Age for the first time I made up a detailed reference sheet comprising edited screen caps of each display in the gallery, using Photoshop, along with notes for every interaction. The only bit I need help with any more is the telescope system. As a side note, once when Tyion and I explored Kadish together, he impressed me by knowing the telescope settings by memory. Good on ya, Ty!

That said, I keep trying to convince myself that I need to reinstall Riven, considered by many (including yrs trly) as the pinnacle of the series. But getting it to run on modern versions of Windows can be problematic, although there are solutions posted on the old Ubi forums. Yeah, Heimdall is still at it. And for that matter, I reinstalled Revelation for another try - and maybe even a completion - but can never work up the moxie to dive into it again. I started off and played the first few sequences in Tomahna, but I just don't think about it when I'm at the PC.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Admin

<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >ABM? CDs? Plural? Isn't there only one for ABM?

In any case, installing Riven is something I haven't tried in Windows 7. It's just too old by this point and there are too many hoops to jump through to get it working properly. I miss it, but I am happier with my memories than any walkthrough I've attempted as of late (as the pixellated 16-bit graphics really grate on my graphic snobbishness these days).

That being said .. . to get Riven working in Vista you need to
-Remove all iTunes / Quicktime installations
-Install the 'advanced' install, including the quicktime necessary for the game
-reinstall your quicktime / itunes

Then the game should run fine. That's what worked for ME anyhow.

Last edited by Jnathus on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 48632
Title: Aesthetics Guy
Anyone else notice that J'na's post was the first of the Obama administration? :o
Just an observation, not saying anything about politics and I hope no one does, either.
Politics is probably the easiest way to destroy a perfect group of friends. :/

Good job on the Gahreesen jump btw! XD
That was always basically the most annoying part of the game for me.
I find it surprising that it runs so well on a newer version of Windows, considering installing ABM onto a SP2-equipped machine resulted in horrible sound-effect levels. :/
Although, having DONE that, I must say that when you go from Live to ABM, regardless of the machine, it will tend to seem like it runs REALLY well. When I replayed it on my Windows machine I was like
:o Wait a minute, it's SMOOTH...!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Maurus wrote:
I find it surprising that it runs so well on a newer version of Windows, considering installing ABM onto a SP2-equipped machine resulted in horrible sound-effect levels. :/ Although, having DONE that, I must say that when you go from Live to ABM, regardless of the machine, it will tend to seem like it runs REALLY well. When I replayed it on my Windows machine I was like :o Wait a minute, it's SMOOTH...!

<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >I remember being surprised how my system barely coped with MOUL. I mean, if a quad core with 2 GB of RAM and an 8800 GT couldn't run that game butter smooth NOTHING could.

About XP SP2 . . . if the system had an Audigy card, URU was notorious for not liking those. I'm (regrettably) using on-board audio these days, and from the sounds of it from reviews, the X-Fi cards with their great audio output are a complete mess with drivers in Vista and NOW XP (where they used to run well). I miss my M-audio Revolution 7.1. That card had great audio.

When the day comes that I have money to burn again, I'm looking into the ASUS Xonar cards. SNR: 116dB (which is better than the X-Fi's 109dB. :)

Last edited by Jnathus on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:43 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Strange, my X-Fi Extreme Music did quite well in all instances of Uru. It was pretty cool to enable the EAX capability and wander through Ae'gura while wearing headphones. The effect in tunnels, etc., was just amazing.

That said, the only problem that the X-Fi had with Uru, and it wasn't just me, was that you couldn't use voice chat if you had your Uru audio set to the X-Fi. You had to back off to the default audio before voice chat would work. But since voice chat played such a small part in the Uru experience - regrettably, IMHO - that wasn't that big a deal.

Diverging a bit, I, for one, thought that voice chat should have played an essential part in Uru. Standing face-to-face with another explorer and typing at each other didn't help the immersion, if you ask me. I had several very good voice conversations with other folks back in the day, and it was a definite enhancement. And besides, other folks found it cool to talk to Mowog from TCT. They knew my voice, and found it exciting to just kick back and have a friendly conversation with someone they'd heard on the air.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:35 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 48632
Title: Aesthetics Guy
Mowog wrote:
Diverging a bit, I, for one, thought that voice chat should have played an essential part in Uru. Standing face-to-face with another explorer and typing at each other didn't help the immersion, if you ask me. I had several very good voice conversations with other folks back in the day, and it was a definite enhancement. And besides, other folks found it cool to talk to Mowog from TCT. They knew my voice, and found it exciting to just kick back and have a friendly conversation with someone they'd heard on the air.

Mowog

Aww :D That's so nice/cool! :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]