It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
As webmaster for a school district, I try to make sure our website displays correctly in all the major browsers.

But as fate would have it, the site goes completely screwy in IE8. The home page grows to a gargantuan size, many elements fail to display altogether, and it's just plain busted. It still looks fine in IE7, and better yet in Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.

I've tried using Compatibility View in IE8, but that makes no difference at all. And the odd part is that it's only our home page that's affected. All other pages on the site work fine.

So if any of you are running IE8 at the moment, can you please pull up our website <a href="http://www.stcharles.k12.mo.us" target="_blank">here</a>, view it in both IE8 and Firefox (etc.), and see what you think? I've just spent an entire morning dorking around with the page code trying to get the page to display right in IE8, and it just won't. It seems to ignore table and column width settings.

By the way, I really dislike Internet Explorer myself, and as a rule I ignore it passionately in favor of Firefox. But IE is the default browser in our school district, and with a lot of our external users as well, so I'm sort of stuck with it. I use Firefox here at work too, but the vast majority of our staff just use the standard load, which only includes IE.

Thanks in advance -

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am 
TCT Member

Sorry but I also cannot get the Home page to fit to page. If I do find a solution I will get back to you. I have always used Microsoft. I found it so much easier when not computer literate. Things are getting better with IE8 I find it alot faster and more stable than 7. I have't had any issues with this browser since upgrading.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 am 
Producers

Thanks for the look - as mentioned, that page displays correctly in every browser I've tried EXCEPT for IE8. So I'm wide open to any suggestions!

By the way, the page in question was originally built in FrontPage; was more recently edited in MS Expressions Web (the successor to FrontPage), and just over the last couple of days edited again in Dreamweaver, my editor of choice. I was hoping that Dreamweaver might uncover the problem, but no such luck.

Just FYI, the header graphic is 734 px wide, and the main table comprising the home page is constrained to 734 px in width to match the header. So why that table would grow to humongous proportions in spite of the constraint is beyond me. Argh... I like it when tools just WORK. And again, every other page on the site - and there are quite a few - display okay. This problem only affects the home page which, of course, is the first thing anybody sees. Our concern is that as users start adopting IE8, we're going to start getting calls about the busted website. Sheesh. I have a lot of other things to worry about here besides the website, so I just want to get it fixed and get back to my "real" job.

Thanks again,

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm 
Website Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: TCT Member
Dear Mowog, I have had a look at the page and it has clearly been generated by different programs including some by Microsoft as you said.

I guess the easiest way is to add an HTML meta tag to try certain compatibility modes (you seem to have tried some but I want to make sure that is really not working).

Please add this:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Right after:
Code:
<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
    <head>
        <title>School District of the City of St. Charles</title>
<meta name="verify-v1" content="zgQHz5wKfEA14ybCHxT2m9nRGuFw19qkET7f7voBzIo=" />

In the source code of the index page.
That should help ;) (also don't forget to clean your cached/temporary internet files to make sure that it sees the new lines).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 am 
Producers

Bert, my lad, you are a Godsend! I dropped that code in and the fix was immediate. I'm breathing much easier now! THANK YOU!!!

BTW, when I took over the Webmaster duties I inherited the existing site from the previous webmaster. It had been built some time before in FrontPage, but I didn't really worry about that aspect, since I could easily edit it in Dreamweaver, my preferred authoring app. Then the forms pages started to malfunction (i.e., just not work), and after extensive digging I found that forms using the FrontPage Server Extensions need to be edited and published using FrontPage, or they won't work. Fine... so I swallowed my pride, learned FrontPage, and used that on the district website for several months. For my other projects, I still used Dreamweaver. So when we were still having problems with one of the forms, I decided to upgrade from FrontPage 2002. Needless to say, it was getting a bit dated! That's when we found out that FrontPage had ceased to be supported a long time ago, and the alternative was to purchase Microsoft Expressions Web, which we did. Expressions isn't a bad editor, but you can still see a lot of legacy FrontPage functionality that's still in there. (At least it uses the term "website" instead of "web." That always bugged me about FrontPage.) Anyhoo, during the last couple of days I'd been trying to fix the display problem seen in IE8, and tried editing the district home page in Dreamweaver. So yeah, you were seeing evidence of multiple editors, and that's why.

So now it's back to diagnosing why the new pages I've been building look great in Firefox, but wonky in IE. Sigh...

Again, many thanks!

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:37 pm 
Website Staff

Ow, you don't know why ?
I do:

IE hates open standards (because microsoft hates them).
Firefox, opera, safari and other browsers follow the open standards very well, their browsers usually work better with website's created by manual coders like me and website's created with decent program (NVU, Dreamweaver, etc.)

Microsoft webdesign programs tend to work sometimes, but I generally don't trust them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:58 am 
Producers

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Microsoft webdesign programs tend to work sometimes, but I generally don't trust them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I've noticed that myself. FrontPage and Expressions both seem to be clumsy to use compared to (for example) Dreamweaver, and you get the idea that they are products of a company where web design is not the main priority. I've run into all sorts of complications trying to get certain features of the site to work correctly - mainly features that are dependent on the FrontPage Server Extensions. I can't tell you how much time I've spent digging through knowledge bases and other sites simply trying to find a fix for stuff that should just work, and doesn't. For example, I mentioned earlier that we have several forms on the site, used for workshop enrollment, parent feedback, etc. After considerable time and effort I finally found out that you can't simply edit them in FrontPage or Expressions, publish them back to the web server, and expect them to work... you need to actually edit them on the web server. And of course no documentation will tell you that. I finally ended up speaking with Microsoft technical representatives over the phone, and THEY had to dig around a bit before finding a solution. And even then, there's one of our site's features - that allows the Human Resources department to post job openings - that STILL didn't work correctly, and I finally worked up an HTML solution just so they could post openings. Gaaaahhhh... Naturally, I'd like to rebuild the whole site from scratch using a more robust technology than the FrontPage Server Extensions, but the Webmaster role is one of several things I do, and I just don't have the time to rebuild the whole site at the moment.

Funny thing is, this is all moot at the moment; right after I applied your fix to our home page, our network admin cut us over to a new web server, and try as we might, I've been unable to access it to upload the current website. So... if you pull up our district website at the moment, you see content from January. Wonderful... Hopefully on Monday we can get the access figured out.

But thanks again! It's cool to know that when I get the site up on the new server, the home page will display correctly.

Cheers,

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:56 pm 
Website Staff

No problem Mowog, I'm glad I could help.

If you need some tips when you find the time to re-do the site, just let me know ;)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]