It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Hi, all.

Just had a meeting here at work, wherein we discussed the setting up of a technology forum for our school district. I'd be doing the grunt work, i.e., setup and most moderation.

So the question is, what's the general consensus from you guys, RE: a forum package - much like this one - that's fairly straightforward to set up? I've always been quite impressed with the system we use here. If I use the same package, what costs are we talking about, and what's involved in getting it up and running, setting up groups, users, etc.?

Thanks!

Gryf

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2020 Camaro SS 455 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:# <!--/ >I don't know all there is to it, but I'll tell you what I know.

The forum software was $185 when we bought the current package. There is a yearly $30 subscription, and that came with support. However, that was something that we jumped at before the discontinued it. This was useful as we were able to have an IBPSupport guru connect to our forums and fix the skin for us and a few other things that Tim couldn't quite get working.

There is a SQL portion to the forum, but I don't know how that's set up. The rest - the user configuration, I"m guessing certain ones are configured by default (admins) and you can configure forum access. I have to say that the admin control panel can be a bit daunting when you're trying to get a specific thing done. Once it's all done though, everything seems to flow.

As far as Invision Power Board, URU Obsession is using the latest version and either their setup is incorrect, or the latest version just plain sucks. So before deciding on a package, just be aware that the one we're on is a bit dated.
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm 
Website Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: TCT Member
the MOUL forum is running phpBB, which is free and opensource, you also have v-bulletin and some others, I suggest you try some demos online before you pick one (especially when you have to pay for it)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:17 am 
Former Staff

I agree with Bert and would strongly suggest avoiding IPB these days. There's just (no longer) any reason to pay for forum software like IPB or vBulletin. Go with phpBB or BBPress (from the Wordpress guys).

They're both PHP apps so you'll be wanting a Linux box running Apache, MySQL database, and PHP.

Tim

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
We're pretty limited on options such as a Linux server, since the school district server admin has his hands full enough without setting up a special server just for a forum. He's also worked pretty thin, so anything in addition to enabling PHP, etc., on our Windows Server 2008 setup would be a pretty tall order. He's usually pretty resistant to anything that compromises the servers or makes his job more complicated than it already is. For example, the student webmaster team at one of our High Schools wanted to use Wordpress so their student staffers could build a slick new website for their school, and were pretty much shot down. I guess the issue is that the web server is a really low priority for our tech staff. It's merely one of many duties, and the only time they'll do anything at all to it is if it's well and truly busted. Our only glimmer of hope here is that the forum idea came from our department head.

So far we're thinking vBulletin, and are poking around in that direction.

Gryf

Last edited by Mowog on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:06 pm 
Website Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: TCT Member
Well, the stuff Miles is talking about can also work on Windows server, but it's a lot more work to get PHP and MySQL working on windows (except if you go with XAMP but that isn't very good security-wise).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 pm 
Former Staff

Bert's right - you can do PHP/MySQL on Windows Server 2008, and its pretty straight forward these days. In Server 2003 days, it was an absolute nightmare.

I've done a couple of talks at Microsoft events on this topic:

<a href="http://www.slideshare.net/timkeller/windows-server-and-fast-cgi-technologies-for-php" target="_blank">http://www.slideshare.net/timkeller/window...ologies-for-php</a>
<a href="http://www.slideshare.net/timkeller/an-oxymorons-guide-to-php-on-windows" target="_blank">http://www.slideshare.net/timkeller/an-oxy...-php-on-windows</a>

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]