It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:40 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
I just came across something interesting on the UO forum. Seems that Cyan has worked with fantasy author Cecilia Dart-Thornton in the creation of an interactive CD to accompany her recent book, "Well of Tears." Click <a href="http://www.ceciliadartthornton.com/demosmal.html" target="_blank">here</a> for an introduction. Very interesting! I wonder if it's pre-rendered, or realtime?

According to the site, the project should be available in the US in early '06. It's already being marketed in the UK and Australia.

This is really intriguing. I had no idea Cyan was working on anything outside of the Myst worlds.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:45 am 
TCT Member

Umm, this has been around for SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long it aint funny (wait it is [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]) Its realtime, just a place to explore, it uses textures found in Myst V and Uru, the engine is just a stripped down version of Plasma with some hacks working others not and some sorta working... So I will delete this thread once I figure out how o_O

Last edited by JW on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:49 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
Okay, understood. Hm... I see that it came out only last month, so it's not all THAT old.

Anyway, I'd kind of like to play with this one when we can get it in the US. ANY world from Cyan is worth a visit, even if it's only for the sightseeing. Not unlike their other worlds, once you've solved all the puzzles. He he... [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:51 am 
TCT Member

No, this didn't come out just last month (unless you mean the actual product) The news came out in August...

Last edited by JW on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:23 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Mowog+Dec 24 2005, 09:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mowog @ Dec 24 2005, 09:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just came across something interesting on the UO forum. Seems that Cyan has worked with fantasy author Cecilia Dart-Thornton in the creation of an interactive CD to accompany her recent book, "Well of Tears." Click <a href="http://www.ceciliadartthornton.com/demosmal.html" target="_blank">here</a> for an introduction. Very interesting! I wonder if it's pre-rendered, or realtime?

According to the site, the project should be available in the US in early '06. It's already being marketed in the UK and Australia.

This is really intriguing. I had no idea Cyan was working on anything outside of the Myst worlds.

Mowog
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh my gosh, thank you Mowog for the link - this here is what I am talking about. this is it! Yipeeeeeeeeeee! What an amazing way to tell stories. hurrah!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:37 pm 
Production Staff

Well thats pretty fascinating. I hadn't heard of this :)

> How come is this topic closed btw? The time scale issue? Maybe it should be opened again. I'll leave it up to our Community News Manager :) Mr JW :)

Merry Christmas all! :)

Last edited by Miles on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 am 
TCT Member

I bought the CD (and book) on Amazon UK and it arrived today. I must say that it looks wonderful. It is a realtime environment where you walk around in first person similar to the free movement mode of Myst V.

There is an odd sense of familiarity, not only caused by the well-known Cyan quality but also due to the fact that it recycles a few Uru and Myst V elements. For example, the Great Marsh reminded me very much of Direbo and in Rowan Green I was surprised to find the Kemo fishes in the pond. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

The trailer on the website does not do the graphics justice. This "age" would be fitting for a Myst game. Perhaps mrs. Dart-Thornton or whoever made the trailer movie has a low end graphics card. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:00 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-DLanor+Jan 4 2006, 12:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DLanor @ Jan 4 2006, 12:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I bought the CD (and book) on Amazon UK and it arrived today. I must say that it looks wonderful. It is a realtime environment where you walk around in first person similar to the free movement mode of Myst V.

There is an odd sense of familiarity, not only caused by the well-known Cyan quality but also due to the fact that it recycles a few Uru and Myst V elements. For example, the Great Marsh reminded me very much of Direbo and in Rowan Green I was surprised to find the Kemo fishes in the pond.  [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

The trailer on the website does not do the graphics justice. This "age" would be fitting for a Myst game.  Perhaps mrs. Dart-Thornton or whoever made the trailer movie has a low end graphics card.   ;)
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But what a wonderful new way to illustrate books and tell stories. Just imagine what the future holds for readers and lovers of illustration. Lewis Caroll would be wowed and awed. :)

I would love to have Alhon interview the author - what a nice connection <ruby decides to write a little email and walk over that thin line between I/C and OOC a little further. ;) > I could ask her visit the cavern. Hmmmmmmm? <nods, sways, giggles> I so want to move on to podcast 9, we just gotta get 8 distributed.

Ummmm, btw: D'lanor what do you think of a vidcast to go with an offering like this? How could we conceive it? Whicha which way would we go?

Last edited by Ruby ODegee on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:29 pm 
TCT Member

Uru Live KI: 113405
I opened the topic again so we wouldn't have to discuss this through a closed door.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:32 pm 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Ruby ODegee+Jan 4 2006, 08:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ruby ODegee @ Jan 4 2006, 08:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ummmm, btw:  D'lanor what do you think of a vidcast to go with an offering like this?  How could we conceive it?  Whicha which way would we go?
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't think we can put anything from this interactive CD on film without getting into legal issues. Especially since this has not yet been released in the US. But then I am no copyright lawyer. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
On the other hand, if you are serious about contacting the author you can always ask her.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:02 pm 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-DLanor+Jan 4 2006, 05:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DLanor @ Jan 4 2006, 05:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't think we can put anything from this interactive CD on film without getting into legal issues. Especially since this has not yet been released in the US. But then I am no copyright lawyer.  [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
On the other hand, if you are serious about contacting the author you can always ask her.
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, only with her permission - I just thought it would fun to contact her, and see what she said about recording a shortwave. It could only help her booksales.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]