It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:52 am 
TCT Member

This is from (Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:32 pm Post subject: A Bone) Victor<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please understand we do have many important issues currently on our plate. More important than throwing out bones, I might add.

Nevertheless, we will tell you we are talking. Kodama, Marie, and myself. Engberg has been contacted as well.

When we have more than bones to post, rest assured, we will.

V<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Thank god, at last a new post, fantastic! [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] Well it would seam that they are all getting back together, and thinks are happening [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Last edited by Darkuk on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:47 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Darkuk+Jan 17 2006, 04:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkuk @ Jan 17 2006, 04:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is from (Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: A Bone) Victor Thank god, at last a new post, fantastic! [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] Well it would seam that they are all getting back together, and thinks are happening [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--sizeo:1--> "font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<! :blue--> "color:blue"><!--/ >Please understand we do have many important issues currently on our plate. More important than throwing out bones, I might add.--Nevertheless, we will tell you we are talking. Kodama, Marie, and myself. Engberg has been contacted as
well.--When we have more than bones to post, rest assured, we will.
<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
above post got me to thinking... [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] ooops, I know you are already shuddering and not in a good way...I am continuing anyway... [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Just an opinion - not an official CCN statement - just a comment
You see--I like this "story way" of letting us know what is going on - much nicer than telling us: negotiations are being worked out to bring a live version of URU back (or something else back - the "what it will be" mystery continues). It's so different than weak I/C stories that go off the story deep-end. The story has to have substance, as all good stories do. The best stories are metaphors for something else. The best stories are never made out of thin air. ...and Making up something out of thin air is not what A/R is at all.

A/R bends the reality, turns it on its head so we can see things from another perspective, and its a wonderful methaphorical tool for letting us know stuff and keeping us interested. Yep I like it. If you talk in cavern language you are talking A/R ---f you talk dry old techeze you are talking OOC --if you talk about King Shroom - well that is interactive fiction or interactive scripting, but if you talk about tall tales that lose their validity very quickly, then you are probably telling a half-baked I/C hybrid - and it never really works. One must write what they know, always. unless they are adapting - and even then every change better be rooted in something that can be believed.

We are all living double lives (at least dbl) [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] and every one of them is valid, if we keep to "showing" what is really going on--- we can do it in a variety of styles. A/R is one of them and I personally think its great fun. I can't wait 'til we get back to following the cavern story. I for one think its a completely metaphorical story too.

How many layers of metaphor?... well that depends on how it goes? The best literature is many layered. There is the layer we see coming up through the story we readily see (familiarity), and then there is the layer beneath that one we can learn from seeing, and then there is the layer we never thought about before and this layer changes everything.

I can list on 30 or 40 fingers books and screenplays that are layered like this ----from the mysteriously sweet Great Expectations by Charles Dickens to the raw and revealing Sula by Toni Morrison. Like good music novels and film scripts have become a nearly perfect art form when done well. And while intentional situations are always being created to bring on a story (climbing Mount Everest, Hiking the Artic or Diving into the Titantic) - cyber travel and adventure A/R is new, just coming out of the tool box. We are on the cusp of watching it develop as a writing form. You could even say we are part of it developing as a style of writing, depending on whether we watch or participate.

By participating I don't mean altering the DRC storyline or moving in on them without their say-so (even though I never minded the moving in when their story left a void - it was a good opportunity for a writer and still is until the storytellers return). I mean we are participating by writing our own story right here every day. It would be silly to think the story of URU would not include the story of UU. It happened. A good storyteller would never overlook it happened. A good storyteller would write it in ;).

The write in might not look like the reader would expect, but somehow the storyteller would include "historical fact" to move his/her own story along. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] But, and its a big but, I am not the writer and writing in the story of UU and the goings on of UU will be at the discretion of the writer or writers who know far better than me what the future holds. Ruby O travels about merrily in subdued cavern light and knows only what she finds in that light and from the surface light she gets, which is always refracted and detracted. [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

If it were me, hee hee and its not of course, but if it were, I would write something provacative like: character speaking - "during the time we were away from the cavern a rag tag group of cavern devoted returned in our absence and without our official sanction...la da da and the story continues about how slowly explorers returned and created society of their own...la da da - or something like that--- Thing is- for the purpose of showing a good story I am just not sure whether I would make us UUites "heros" or "squatters?" Most of we what we get in the everyday surface news is "to the VICTOR goes the spoils," so I am not sure if I would go that direction or take a more "honest" approach? Hmmmm. Not sure....about this... glad this one is not my call...I suppose the meanest thing a vctor can do is ignore altogether - eradicate - cleanse. I guess it depends on what side of the bedpost I got up from in the morning: 3 options: write them in as heros, write them in as not heros, and not write them in at all <ruby laughs like the Queen of Hearts would>.

----and borrowing--giant gnarly disclaimer---above is my own musing and not necessarily the opinon of the CCN staff.

so what am I getting at with this tome of a post------some of what's been said above and some of what is said below - spoken in the tone of an AIW adaptor. ;)
<!--sizeo:7--> "font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
Alice in Wonderland is our spring offering - our own CCN Easer Egg. AIW looks like a completely fictional piece of silliness, but one can easily be deceived by the appearance of AIW...<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec-->

...like the carney promoter I am---I can say Be sure to catch it in your neighborhood feed. The original AIW its a really a piece of recorded A/R ---which by chance happens to look like a literary wonder. Hmmmmmm__ I can't wait to hear the first batch of recordings from the actors at TCP. ;)

Last edited by Ruby ODegee on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:12 am 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
For what it's worth, I've been participating in the DRC discussions on their forum, and I've suggested to Victor that he consider contacting the CCN for any general news releases, should the need arise. Meaning, if they wish to make any "official" announcements to the general community outside the confines of their own forum, we remain at their disposal. Seems only right, in an IC sort of way, to make CCN available to the DRC if they need it. We're in the enviable position of having a fair degree of visibility in the community, and we would seem to be the likely choice to cover breaking news when it happens.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:14 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Mowog+Jan 17 2006, 12:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mowog @ Jan 17 2006, 12:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Seems only right, in an IC sort of way, to make CCN available to the DRC if they need it. We're in the enviable position of having a fair degree of visibility in the community, and we would seem to be the likely choice to cover breaking news when it happens.

Mowog
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me thinks same. :)

Last edited by Ruby ODegee on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 am 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Ruby ODegee+Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ruby ODegee @ Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's so different than weak I/C stories that go off the story deep-end.  The story has to have substance, as all good stories do.  The best stories are metaphors for something else.  The best stories are never made out of thin air. ...and Making up something out of thin air is not what A/R is at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excellent and very true!

<!--QuoteBegin-Ruby ODegee+Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ruby ODegee @ Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I suppose the meanest thing a vctor can do is ignore altogether - eradicate - cleanse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the fact that Laxman titled the thread "A bone," which is a direct reference to an explorer-created thread, shows that he is willing to respond to and work with explorers. :)

Cheers,
- Deg -

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]