It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 pm 
TCT Member

I'm always on the lookout for music that even has a hint of Myst genre to it in the way it sounds or how it make me feel.

Have you ever heard of any of the "Mind's Eye" videos and it music? Could any of that music be used if a proper credit is given to the artist? Check out the following:

The Mind's Eye - James Reynolds
Beyond The Mind's Eye - Jan Hammer
Gate To The Mind's Eye - Thomas Dolby

Jimmy

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
jlucero wrote:
Could any of that music be used if a proper credit is given to the artist?
<! :#FF9900--> "color:#FF9900"><!--/ >This is a gray area, in that there are some things you can get away with. For instance you can use Star Wars music in a parody of anything Star Wars as George Lucas seems to allow this. We have the same / similar license with the Myst stuff, so long as we don't try to alter the cannon too much.

As far as the mind's eye, I believe I own one of those videos, and I see what you're saying about the whole 'myst-like' as the beginning / opening of the one I have has a very Myst-like feel to it. However, podcasts are considered downloads, and works used for these purposes must be licensed or else we risk lawsuits / fines. I've tried once to get a hold of music I found useful and obscure enough that licensing wouldn't be too expensive and I met with a dead end as I don't know the music industry that well.

Bear in mind that there is a license fee paid to allow theaters to play music in their lobby, radio stations to broadcast music, and in regards to TCT, a license fee has been paid to be allowed to used a certain licensed subset of Iain Morland's music.

So, the answer is "no" we can't use it unless we can get specific license from the producer / copyright holder of that music, and unless you know how to do that and find that they'd all but give that stuff away, it's not likely. This is at least in regards to the podcast.

Now as far a little movie you make and put on youtube, I don't think anyone has been prosecuted for using music from anything for that, although i'm guessing if you used music from a CD that had just been released you might draw more scrutiny than others.

Hopefully this is helpful. Let me know if you want to know more. <!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:49 pm 
TCT Member

I didn't even think it all through. Here I had to pay for the soundtrack download at amazon and I'm asking if you can include it in a free podcast. Duh! How dumb is that? Thanks for replying to my question. I really appreciate it.

Jimmy

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]