It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 am 
TCT Member

I was listening to episodes 4 and 5 where, near the end, you discussed Astronomy.
I do not know if they were kidding or really do not know anything about it but I thought
I would leave some feedback to where you can learn as much as your little hearts desire about the topic.

The first is arm chair astronomy at its finest.
Anyone can now explore the universe for free using Microsoft's project "World Wide Telescope"
<a href="http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx</a>

If you can spend a little money there is a complete university level course on astronomy taught by
Prof. Alex Philippenko at UCLA Berkeley, "Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy, 2nd Edition"
sold by the Teaching Company
<a href="http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1810">http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1810" target="_blank">http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong...2.aspx?cid=1810</a>

This course is 96 lectures of 30 minutes each and covers just about everything on the topic at the introductory (university) level.
I have the first edition of this course and it is awesome. By the way it is currently on sale for $229.95.

Hope to see you in cavern soon.

Happy Exploring
Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >Hello Jason,

Thank you for being the first person I've let through the spam filter in months, being an amiable poster, a listener and MOST importantly someone providing useful information / feedback.

I have to say OMG that site is awesome. I'm on my Mac now, but I'll have to get the Windows client when i'm on my PC next. Thank you VERY MUCH for showing me that.

I'm not sure what's happened, but something has just switched on inside of me in recent months where I am very curious about space / the universe. I know things like the fact that Voyager has just left our solar system 10 years ago, but at its current speed it is 25,000 years from our nearest star neighbor. They're working on something with an ion drive to maybe go faster and get there in a few decades instead of thousands of years. I know that Black Holes are actually VERY tiny masses with incredible gravity - theoriezed to be created when large stars explode and cause their cores to collapse in on themselves.

The more I know the more I WANT to know.

If you want to add me, my KI# is 171075.

Thanks again - and look forward to our new launch of TCT with some interesting surprises in store.
<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 pm 
TCT Member

Jnathus wrote:
<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >Hello Jason,

I'm not sure what's happened, but something has just switched on inside of me in recent months where I am very curious about space / the universe.

It mortality Jnathus. LOL
My dad was into astonomy, he even made his own telescopes, around 12inch mirrors I think. I was only kid at the time and they where big standing against him. I have always looked up and wondered. Still do and like everyone that looks that way I also get more questions when I get answers. In the last 10 years I have got right into Quantum physics and trying to understand the principle. I am hooked. And what are we up to now 11 dimensions.

I was a big shocked at Nasa funding demise but not surprised. But I do think they have gone about it wrong. Time will tell. I do think Nasa needs to open the doors to the rest of the world and work with us all. I believe with every fibre that we need to get out there for the human race to survive longer than most species on this planet has ever lived. History shows it is only transitory and things with all turn to dust. How many mass extinctions have we had so far in Earth's history.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2011 Camaro 2LT - 312 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
Szark wrote:
It mortality Jnathus. LOL
My dad was into astonomy, he even made his own telescopes, around 12inch mirrors I think. I was only kid at the time and they where big standing against him. I have always looked up and wondered. Still do and like everyone that looks that way I also get more questions when I get answers. In the last 10 years I have got right into Quantum physics and trying to understand the principle. I am hooked. And what are we up to now 11 dimensions.

I was a big shocked at Nasa funding demise but not surprised. But I do think they have gone about it wrong. Time will tell. I do think Nasa needs to open the doors to the rest of the world and work with us all. I believe with every fibre that we need to get out there for the human race to survive longer than most species on this planet has ever lived. History shows it is only transitory and things with all turn to dust. How many mass extinctions have we had so far in Earth's history.

<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >My latest exploration was a show made in the UK called Space and released in the US called "Hyperspace." Sam Neil hosted and it was a 6 part miniseries. I thought it was very well done, especially the bit on black holes - how if one entered our galaxy, we'd be done for before it passed Jupiter.

Mortality indeed . . . :) It's curiosity. It started with the realization that we can see our galactic core from Earth. The thing that hooked me was the theory that our Galaxy is held together with a massive gravitational force at its center, which is theorized to be a black hole. In addition, the fact that there are nebulae that give birth to galaxies. The immense size of the space that we are able to see is so far beyond comprehension, it's dizzying to think about it. That or maybe I've had too much caffeine. :)

Last edited by Jnathus on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:39 am 
TCT Member

LOL No not too much caffine. It is mind boggling big so big it os hard for our brains to comprehend. I am just in Awe of it all and it really does show how insignificant we are. And how precious life is...all life.

I remember the program well Jnathus yes I thought they it very well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 pm 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 307688
Title: Yeah. That's how I roll.
I've always loved space... in a way, I was a Space nerd even before I was a Sci-Fi or Fantasy nerd (which led into my Myst and anime obsessions). And on top of it, I'm very religious, so I guess my awe is of a different kind than yours, but it's still remarkable to look up into the sky.... it's so beautiful. So much majesty, so much beauty. I still will spend hours in the clear skies of Wisconsin Winter, and just stare up. It's the most beautiful think I have ever seen. :)

Oh, and if you like stargazing software, check out Stellarium. Open source, free, and fairly accurate, at least to my tests.

DaishoCast, recorded live every Sunday Night at 8:30 CST!
DaishoCast Live!

"That is... disturbingly epic." ~ Drakmyth, on Robot Unicorn Attack.

Mmm.... Bahro Steak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:44 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 48632
Title: Aesthetics Guy
I'm actually taking a college astronomy course now :)
Unfortunately it's mostly about the composition of stars and molecular clouds. :( Too much chemistry for my tase. :P

I could go on and on about how I was obsessed with astronomy as a kid :) I won't though, because I probably wouldn't stop. :P

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]