It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm 
TCT Member

With the cavern back open, will the Archiver come back too?

Whilyam: <a href="http://cavernlink.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">[IC Blog]</a>--<a href="http://whilyam.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">[OOC Blog]</a>--<a href="http://www.subrest.net/" target="_blank">[Subterranean Restorations]</a>--<a href="http://forum.guildofwriters.com" target="_blank">[Guild of Writers]</a>

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm 
TCT Member

I'd be more then willing to take up my old post of photographer if and when the Archiver returns. :)

But just wondering, with the redesign of the the front page, what's happened to the links to the back issues of The Archiver? They're surly of interest to those new to the cavern to help them understand what has gone before? :blink:

I hope that the backissues are still on the server somewhere! :o

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Uru Live KI: 171075
Title: 2020 Camaro SS 455 horsepower - enough to pull YOUR wagon!
stellaflora wrote:
I'd be more then willing to take up my old post of photographer if and when the Archiver returns. :)

But just wondering, with the redesign of the the front page, what's happened to the links to the back issues of The Archiver? They're surly of interest to those new to the cavern to help them understand what has gone before? :blink:

I hope that the backissues are still on the server somewhere! :o

<! :#FF8C00--> "color:#FF8C00"><!--/ >The files are all still there. As far as rekindling the Archiver - I don't know if all of the parties that participated before are still interested. If the demand is there, we'll see what we can do. The podcast staff is smaller than it's been in a while, so we don't have a lot of extra resources to devote to other pursuits. When Narym parted ways from the Archiver it all sort of fell apart. If we can get a new Editor-in-chief and a sufficient staff, we'll go from there.

<!--colorc--> <!--/colorc-->

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
Former Staff

Thanks for noticing that the Archiver has fallen off the new site. I'll be uploading them to a new category later today!

I personally would love to see it back in "print"... so to speak :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 am 
Production Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
I wouldn't mind getting back into it and leading in some capacity, but I think the largest obstacle to any revival is the actual assembly process, which, because it was based on the iWork suite, was limiting in terms of who could physically do it. I think it also really requires multiple assemblers, so that layout-ing can proceed while copy is still being written, rather than ALL the copy being written, and then ALL the design being done at the end. It's inefficient, it puts huge stress on the assembler, and it often means the visual design itself is needlessly rushed.

I think one would need to redesign/change the layout and assembly process so that it was on a more common platform (maybe Publisher), or otherwise so that more people had access to the publishing software. If we migrated from Pages, I think it would also be worth taking the time to redesign, and to template a lot more of the regular spreads, to save time later.

I wouldn't dream of starting it again without at least 2 assemblers who could at the very least be 'on call' and available for (and committed to) the project. Not an indictment on any one person who's done the job before, but it really can't go on one person's shoulders. Not when it's a volunteer project.

Last edited by Narym on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am 
Website Staff

Uru Live KI: 0
Title: TCT Member
I wouldn't mind doing assembly again, but as you pointed out Narym, doing it all by myself takes a very long time.

Another pages user would be nice, also migrating is an option but then someone will have to make the theme, I'm not very good at deciding that kind of stuff ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 pm 
Former Staff

Hmm it would be nice to have most of the TCT structure back up and operating again. It might be a good idea to push for writers during the "TCT Recruitment/Advertisement..... rave".

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]