It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 am 
TCT Member

I really don't know if this goes here, but it can't hurt ;).

When registering for the forum here, I noticed that the username I had chosen (Ai'ron) returns a SQL error. I'll go ahead and quote it here:

Code:
mySQL query error: select id, name, email, mgroup, member_login_key, ip_address, login_anonymous
    from ibf_members
    where LOWER(name)='ai'ron'

mySQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ron'' at line 3
mySQL error code:
Date: Wednesday 07th of September 2005 05:53:02 PM

Looks like the single quote is messing it up. I suspect it's a problem with this version of Invision Power, but from what I remember of PHP, it shouldn't be hard to fix. :)

Off-topic, but excellent work on the website design! As an amateur designer myself, I can't help but be impressed by it. :)

Last edited by AiRon on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:07 am 
Former Staff

Hey AiRon,

Thanks for posting the sql dump - helps a lot in diagnosing the problem. But thats not neccesary because you've hit the nail on the head. This version of IPB seems to have an inherent problem with apostrophes in usernames.

Considering the PHP syntax i can see why. An apostrophes signals a beginning or end to a String - in this case the string of your username. And so when it gets the ' midway through the name it throws this error.

Sadly, i can't easily fix this error, but i certainly will try find an official patch for it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Miles
Forum Admin

:)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:06 am 
TCT Member

I was trying to see if I could still register if I escaped the single quotes by putting a forward slash infront of the apostrophe, and it seemed to register all right (I'm sorry, I didn't mean to actually complete the registration, but I forgot there wasn't another step after filling in the proper fields). Problem is that it still displays the forward slash.

I wonder, would registering with "& #39;" (without the space) instead of the apostrophe do it?

Last edited by AiRon on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:30 pm 
Former Staff

Quite possibly... IM me next time you are online so we can test - that way i can instantly delete the new account if it flops.

:)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]