It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:20 pm 
TCT Member

Hi...

I downloaded and installed Audacity, in preparation for doing some recording. The mic works fine, but nothing connected to the line in on my Soundblaster card works. I've tested everything and it's definitely a problem with the sound card. Problem, or else I don't know what I'm doing.

Anyone have any sugggestions? Computer has Win XP, the card is a soundblaster 2ZS Gamer. The problem must have to do with selecting audio from internal sources--if I play music, I get response on the line in in Audacity--but no external source connected to the line in will work.

Also, Audacity seems to be crash-prone. I blew it up three times during my experiments. Is this common?

Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:35 pm 
Producers

Uru Live KI: 174162
Title: The Last Earbender
LC --

Odd, I've never had Audacity crash. Yet...

As for recording different sources, rumor has it that if you select "What U Hear" from the drop-down, you get exactly that... your mike input plus system sounds, etc.

The confusing part is that I don't even get that option in my drop-down. It seems to depend on what sound card you have. I was under the impression that with a Sound Blaster, you did indeed get the "What U Hear" option. I've just got the on-board audio chipset that came with my Sony VAIO, and the nearest equivalent I can get is "WAV Out Mix" or something like that. And when we tried to record using that setting, the echo, looping, etc. brought the whole show to a halt.

So for all the recording I do with Audacity, I just leave it set to the default input, "Microphone."

You may have seen earlier posts where we've discussed voice chat and recording software. It seems to be a Windows thing... Macs can evidently record all parties in a Skype call, for instance, whereas we Windows users get only our own microphone input and nothing else. Veralun and others have had better luck, but I think they're running Sound Blaster audio cards, or equivalent. Again, strange that you couldn't get better results.

I've experimented around, mainly because our interview features require recording of all voices involved. Teamspeak will record all parties, but the sound quality is poor. (Unless an admin changes the sampling rate, but nobody's done this for a Cavern feature yet.) Likewise, Gizmo records all voices, and sounds better than Teamspeak, but it also records at a sampling rate of only 8KHz vs. the 44.1KHz we usually use, so by the time you re-sample to 44.1 and export as an MP3, the loss of quality is noticeable. The best solution so far seems to be Skype with the PowerGramo plug-in. Tests so far have yielded excellent results, in that the recordings are sampled at 44.1KHz and sound as good as the Skype call itself, except for a slight echo from the other party's voice.

Or... you could use a Mac, which, if it weren't for the expense and my existing library of Windows software, would be a really inviting "fix." I'd love to put one of those aluminum G5s on my desk.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:14 pm 
TCT Member

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but the sound quality is poor. (Unless an admin changes the sampling rate, but nobody's done this for a Cavern feature yet.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
PMFJIH, but you don't have to have an admin change anything in TeamSpeak. You can do it yourself if you create the channel. And anybody can create a channel.

Visit my Anthology of E-mails Web site.

Last edited by Donahoo on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:45 pm 
Producers

Thanks for the clarification, Donahoo! I'm sure you're right. Has anyone actually tried it yet to check out the difference in sound?

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:07 pm 
TCT Member

I think I did try it a while back, and it did make a difference, but as it was so long ago my goldfish like memory won't let me remember, er, whatever it was I was trying to, er, what was I talking about agian? Image

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:40 pm 
Producers

Ha... well, maybe we ought to give it a shot, just to see what happens. Can any old dweeb create a channel on Teamspeak, or does it require special powers? I wouldn't mind setting up a "studio quality" (yeah, right...) channel in TS to test this out.

Mowog

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:44 pm 
TCT Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Mowog+Jan 28 2006, 09:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mowog @ Jan 28 2006, 09:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->LC --

Or... you could use a Mac, which, if it weren't for the expense and my existing library of Windows software, would be a really inviting "fix." I'd love to put one of those aluminum G5s on my desk.

Mowog
<div align='right'><a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=4667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it weren't for UU not working on a Mac [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img], i would certainly have one of those aluminium G5s on my desk right now

/me LOOOOOOVES MAC [img]http://www.chirpspace.com/tct/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:57 pm 
TCT Member

I have a Powerbook G4 which would work just dandy for recording. I have several options for it. Just that using the PC would be convenient.

As for Teamspeak, there are differences. When Ktahdn plays music he always sets up his own channel using the Speex codec at 25.9K, which sounds pretty good. I don't know how it compares to your other options, but it's good enough for us to share music.

Anyone can set up a channel. The only real difference is that if the server allows you to register, then if you're registered when you make the channel, your channel remains after you leave. Tapestry allows you to register. Some TS servers won't, so that when the laat person leaves the channel it disappears and must be re-created the next time. Ktahdn has to do this for "Up On the Roof!" on Great Tree because he's not allowed to register. That's governed by how the TS server is set up.

If you want to try it the easy way, go to Tapestry's TS server and select the permanent "Radio KTDN" channel. This is set up for music. Anything you send will be at the highest data rate available.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]